Chapter 12 - Countdown

When Juvia opened her eyes, she was met by Wendy who hovered over her, face full of worry. She blocked the bright light overhead, shielding her eyes from the burn as she felt her fingers twitch and her stomach ached. Her skin felt sticky, the mattress underneath her sticking to her limbs and her head digging into the soft pillow.

          Wendy's expression changed from worry to relief when her eyes opened, giving the little girl a chance to breath again as she leaned back against the chair she sat in. Juvia coughed when she tried sitting up, feeling Wendy's hand touch her bare shoulders, pushing her back down. "You can't get up yet, Juvia. You're still healing."

           Healing. She remembered fighting Lucy in the town and remembered the feeling of something driving into her stomach and hand. Her head felt heavy when she tried sitting up, the dreading feeling of something running through her body. She cast a glance beside her where Wendy wasn't and saw a blood bag hovering over her. Her eyes traveled to her left arm, where a syringe peeked out of her arm, the needle digging into her blue veins. 

            On her other arm, the one Wendy had her hands on, another bag hovered above her with a bag full of clear liquid. It was set up the same way as the blood. Juvia heared Wendy explain what it was, but was in and out of the conversation as she tried holding onto consciousness. Apparently it was an antidote for whatever poison or enchantment had been placed on Lucy's sword. While the blood filled her body, lighting her features, the antidote cleaned out her system. 

             "Where is she?" The question came out like a croak, her throat burning from the lack of water. She winced and Wendy slid her hand underneath her head, letting water fall into her throat and Juvia gladly accepted it. 

              "In another room," she said. "The doctors didn't want you and Zenith in the same room with her." Juvia frowned by the other name and Wendy tilted over so a girl, around Juvia's age, waved.

              "Hello, Blue Lady," her Russian accent was thick and Juvia was surprised. The girl, Zenith was from Tally Raid, another dark guild but the way Wendy giggled when she spoke told her she wasn't as bad as her comrades probably were. Zenith laid back, a white curtain making her head disappear as she flipped through a magazine, around ten stacked up beside her bed.

               Wendy righted herself in the chair, pushing a loose lock of hair behind her ear. She bit her lip, seeming reluctant to tell Juvia something. The bluenette couldn't help but push what she wanted to say. "What is it, Wendy?"

                She sighed. "You almost died, that's what the doctors say. When you arrived back in the arena, you were bleeding so badly the medics couldn't move you off the plate."

                "Then how did they do it?" Juvia asked.

                "Gray sealed your wound up with his ice," she stated. "He didn't want me to tell you but I couldn't help myself. He saved your life, you needed to know." Juvia blinked, her lashes fluttering as she smiled. "I also, like, want you guys to become a couple really soon. I'm young and no one likes me, so at least make me this happy."

                  She laughed and regretted it after words. Juvia clenched her stomach in pain, her hand wrapped in bandages, being the one Lucy stabbed. "Lucy has gotten a lot stronger," she managed to get out, puffing her cheeks out as she breathed. "Juvia didn't see her move coming."

                  Wendy nodded. "No one did, except the First Master who looked more horrified then the rest of us." 

                 "Where's Carla?" Juvia just realized the common white cat wasn't with her, which was the biggest surprise so far.