Chapter 19 - The Ruined Outsiders

The smell of burning wood filled the air, drifting into Lucy's nostrils as she followed Nothing and Ruby through the wrecked town. The rain was falling hard, slamming down on the concrete as she made her way, bare footed, through the smoking houses. Fire still sparked now and then but it was mostly dark now, bodies strewn around the area, ashes falling with the rain like hail, but it didn't hurt when it connected with your skin.

        Lucy pushed the loose strands behind her ears, shivering from the cold that touched her bare skin. Her hands ached from the way she had gripped the blades, holding it above Natsu's head as they had stared at each other. She was cursing to herself, unbelieving that she hadn't been able to commit the crime. 

       Nothing and Ruby were far ahead of her, kicking broken pieces of glass and wood as they went. If they had seen her fail to kill him, they weren't acknowledging it. Lucy stayed silent as they rounded a corner and came upon a family of five. There was a father but no mother, a baby in his arms and two little girls around ten and fourteen.

      Ruby smiled at the bunch huddled in an alleyway like beggars, their clothes tattered and skin covered in soot. He walked up to the ten year old and Lucy didn't pay attention as he ripped the child from her older sister's arms, chowing down on her head like a cookie. The family screamed as he ripped her entire head off her body, letting the limbs fall to the ground like they were nothing, and he chewed her head like it was nothing.

      The family jumped to their feet and turned to run, but Lucy grabbed the back of the fourteen year old's shirt, pulling her to her. The blonde slit her throat, the knife sliding against her tan skin fast, spraying blood onto the wall of a bakery, most likely theirs. Her body hit the ground and Nothing sprinted past her towards the father, who had placed the baby down on the ground behind a pile of wood as Nothing shot him in the skull, killing him instantly. 

      Lucy pushed past both of them, kneeling down where the baby had been set down. It was crying, wrapped in a blue blanket and it's face had droplets of blood on it. She reached her hand out towards the baby and then stopped, her fingers hovering over it's throat. She found herself wiping the blood from it's face and returning to her feet. "Someone will find it," she said, turning towards her comrades. "Unless you're up for killing a newborn baby."

     Nothing gave a disgusted look while Ruby seemed saddened by this fact. All three of them left the alleyway, leaving the baby crying behind them. "Now what?" Nothing asked, his hands behind his head calmly as they walked down the street, no one else in sight. 

     "There's people who escaped the town," Lucy stated. "They went up that hill over there, which leads to the woods. Let's see how many can survive." They seemed to agree and Lucy breathed in the smoking air, the smell of rain and ash, grinning. 

      She wasn't going to let Natsu bring her mood down, and the thought of another rampage filled Lucy's bones with joy. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      "Ow," Juvia slurred, grabbing the edge of the wooden table to pull herself from the floor. She had slid off the couch in an attempt to get a drink but her wounds still horribly ached, so when her stitches in her stomach felt like they tightened, she had lost her balance and it the ground. She had pulled herself on her knees when something crashed inside, causing her head to whip towards the door.

       It didn't open, but she saw a blur of white go past one of the windows. Juvia used the couch to get to her feet, and, clenching her stomach, the bluenette made her way over to the entrance, grasping the door knob when she made it. Juvia opened the door to find Wendy sprawled on the ground, her pigtails beginning to become undone and her right leg was completely crushed, bone sticking out of the cracked skin.