x15x

"What if they moved?" I asked. "Or maybe they were sworn into new identities? Or maybe they replaced me and Wilbur—oh God, what if they forgot about us—"

Zaine was standing behind me, really close, and I felt him nudge my waist, but then back up. He hadn't said anything in the car besides asking me my old address. I was ecstatic about just getting to see my parents and the house I grew up in.

I turned back to face him, and all he was doing was looking down at me with his brown eyes that could just about mean anything. And I was being such a bitch to him after he confessed his feelings to me. The feelings that were clearly returned, but not recognized.

And when I opened my mouth to at least thank him, the door was being opened and it took me less than a second to collide into a hug with my parents.

"What are you doing here?! How did you get here? How's it been? Sweetie, I missed you so much! Where's your brother?" My mom asked me.

"And more importantly..." my father didn't finish because he looked over at Zaine. "Who are you?"

***

Hours later, I was back in my actual bedroom. Zaine and I had sat through dinner with my parents and explained everything. Of course they were worried and briefly mad about me leaving Wilbur, but Zaine didn't fail to tell them we'd have to leave soon enough when the others would communicate that they made it out of the base.

This room was everything. It had every memory and my parents hadn't changed it. I slid the backpack off of my bed and then I heard a knock on my door.

"Yeah?" I said, putting my hair into a ponytail. The door cracked open and then I saw Zaine lean against the door way.

"May I come in?" he whispered.

"Did my parents see you?" I asked. He looked around.

"Not that I know of..."

"Then sure," I allowed with a sigh and then sat down on my bed. I saw him step into the room and shut the door, dressed in a muscle shirt and some gym shorts that belonged to Wib.

"I don't think your dad likes me," he expressed.

"It's not your fault," I shrugged. The only guy friend of mine he's liked was Tyler. As good of guys they both are, Tyler had been around longer. Being in this house and my room full of childhood pictures, I was remembering more and more of Tyler. Especially as Zaine walked about my room, examining everything.

"You have a lot of friends," he commented before he had gotten to my pictures with Tyler. Yet, he still seemed sad about saying that.

"So I was wondering if we could go see my best friend, tomorrow, before the others call us..." I said.

"Sure thing," he said easily. Really?

"So you don't believe we have to be confined to a special school? Secluded from society...?" I asked for confirmation. He turned to me and shrugged.

"Depends," he said.

"What about for Cheshire?" I asked, just wanting him to express something, instead of acting like some robot. He shrugged and then walked over to grab my bag and pull out the files. No. Just one file that consolidated others. He dropped it on my lap and took a seat on my bed across from me.

Cheshire Nichols.

"Everyone has their reasons as to how they got caught and why they do things," he said attempting to half smile in sadness. The folder had tempted me enough that I opened it. Of course the picture of him and the girl was on top, but still, I picked it up and examined it and cherished the idea of Cheshire being acquainted with someone he didn't irritate. Zaine turned the rap sheet to face him.