Chapter Forty - Breaking Hearts

Chapter forty – Breaking Hearts

~~

-Two days later – October 21, 1987-

-Citria's Point of View-

Well, it's been two days since Michael and I finally made amends. Today, we're going to see my father; he seemed pretty shaken up after the whole "Marco" ordeal a few days back, and so I'm trying to see him as much as possible until he ... recovers, I guess. It's also a chance for me to see Clover and Reiss; make sure they're okay, too.

It's currently about 8:45am, and breakfast is being prepared. It's nothing much, because I just want us to get out the house and to father's, so it's just a matter of toast and cereal this time. Michael's in the living room; having declined his offer of helping, I kind of made him go in there to wait for my announcement that food is ready.

As I'm setting the cutlery at the table, I hear a faint sound coming from the living room. Curious, I sneak out of the kitchen, through the hallway, and to the ajar door leading into the room. Silently, I listen, as I hear Michael singing.

"I'm in love ... with a beautiful girl ...
I'm in love ... with a beautiful ... girl ... "

His voice is simply gorgeous. He never really sung in front of me before; he probably isn't aware that I'm listening. It's difficult to prepare breakfast when this stunning sound is coming from him. Maybe I'll just listen a few moments more ...

"Can't you see ... that ... I'm ... in ... love ... ?" he sings over and over, each time sounding more perfect than the last.

At these words, an uncontrollable smile spreads across my face. It's good enough hearing him sing; but hearing the words and knowing they're about me? That's just ... incredible.

Peeping my head around the door, I notice that he's trying to fix my vase once again. He's been working on it for three days now, and is making small progress with each time he makes another attempt. I'd say that about a quarter of the vase is back together, which is real good considering how many little tiny pieces there are.

He's singing whilst he works. Isn't that just so cute?

Finally deciding to raise awareness to the fact I'm here, I open the door a little wider, before speaking softly. "Your voice is beautiful."

He whips his head up and around, so that his eyes meet mine. He looks a little surprised that I caught him, but he soon smiles. "Sorry. It was just ... I don't know. It was just while I was waiting for breakfast."

"I see ... " Venturing into the room a little more, I join him on the sofa, embracing his leant-forward body from behind, my arms coiling around his neck, and draping over his chest. "You should sing more often." To emphasise my enthusiasm, I lean over his shoulder and plant a kiss on his cheek, causing him to smile, flushing a gentle pink colour.

"I don't take it seriously," he explains, a shy smile still lingering on his lips. "It's just a little bit of fun, you know?"

"Mm-hmm." My fingers ruffle his hair gently. "Breakfast'll be ready soon. Just got to wait on the toast."

"Great. And you should be proud of me; not scolding you for touching my precious curls." He turns his head, smirking at me, as if he just did the most amazing thing known to man.