Chapter Fifty-one - Nightmare Before Christmas

Chapter fifty-one – Nightmare Before Christmas

~~

December 17, 1987

It's been a few days since we went to Michael's old home to look around, and surprisingly, Michael is pretty happy at the moment. There is, of course, the underlying fear of Marco returning ... but other than that, he's doing okay.

It's been almost a month since dad died, and of course, it isn't easy. It's a weird feeling; losing a parent. You get used to being without them, but it doesn't make it easy to be without them. It always hurts ... but sometimes, it hurts less than other times. It's strange.

Today, the four of us are meeting together – Michael, myself, Clover and Reiss. It's nothing particularly special; it's just, I guess, to talk over Christmas plans. Christmas is only about a week away, now.

My house is now decorated with Christmassy lights, ornaments and – of course – a Christmas tree. It looks so festive, and it's beautiful. I love it. The sweetest thing is, Michael helped me to do it; and when he put the mistletoe up, he raised it above us both, and demanded a kiss. Being the nice, kind, lovely person I am, I obliged.

"So, we're going to Citria's house for Christmas Day, right?" Reiss asks, sitting back in his chair. We're at my dad's house, because we're also planning to decorate it in his honour after we've spoken.

"Yes, that's right," I answer. "And I'll be making dinner for us all. It's going to be lovely – despite everything that's happened."

"Agreed. It's for everyone we've lost," Clover smiles, sitting on the arm of Reiss' chair, by his side.

"It sure is," Michael adds, standing up from his seat. "Anyway ... maybe we should begin decorating this place. I can't wait to see how beautiful it looks after."

"Good idea. Let's start with the lights." As I grab a hold of the lights, I turn around to look at the others. "Where should we put them?"

"Put them on the curtain pole; jazz that up a little," Reiss advises me.

"Alright." Accepting his words, I head towards the curtains, dragging a chair with me as I go. To make myself a little taller, I stand on top of the chair, and use that as leverage to reach the curtain pole. I begin to twist the lights around it, and it starts to look so much more festive. It's really cute.

"That looks awesome," Michael comments behind me.

"I try my best," I chuckle, just reaching the middle section of the pole.

"Make sure they're evenly spread," Reiss jokily warns me.

For a brief moment, I turn my head to look at him in mock frustration. "Really? You think I don't know how to put Christmas lights up?" A small laugh accompanies my words.

"I know you can. Just checkin'," he replies, clearly amused.

"Right." Finally finishing the lights, I jump down from the chair, and rub my hands together in satisfaction. "There. Done. See? It's perfect."

"Citria's a modest one," Clover remarks sarcastically, but with clear playfulness.

Michael chuckles at Clover's comment. "So, now what?" He walks over to the decoration box, and rummages through it briefly. From inside of it, he brings out a couple ornaments of reindeers; one 'parent' reindeer, and one 'child' – because of their sizes. "Where should we put them?"

"Put them on the windowsill; they can look like they're looking out the window," I suggest, finding the idea of little reindeers watching the world outside quite cute.