Chapter Fifty-two - How Many Times

Chapter fifty-two – How Many Times

~~

In case you forgot what happened in the previous chapter, please take the time to re-read the last section before reading this chapter. Thank you.

~~

In initial reaction, everyone moves down to the floor – even Marco. I know one thing for sure – the bullet didn't get me. But I'm terrified about who it did get.

None of us are moving, from the pure shock of what's just happened. After a few moments, over my rapid breathing (and everyone else's), I hear movement by my side. My head lifts up, and I see Marco standing himself up. Without saying a word, he flees the house, obviously unharmed.

Meaning the bullet either missed everyone, or ... it caught one of the other three.

Knowing I'm okay, I rush to my feet, before tapping Michael's shoulder. He twitches, before rolling over onto his back. He seems okay ... which admittedly, I'm super relieved about. I just hope Reiss and Clover are okay.

"I can't believe that just happened," Michael mutters, his voice shaking excessively from fright. He stands up, placing his arms around me. "Are you okay, Angel?"

"I'm fine," I breathe, before averting my eyes to Clover and Reiss. A rush of urgency then overwhelms me. "We need to check the other two; make sure they're okay!"

He kneels down by Reiss' side, whilst I bend down to Clover's level. Clover lifts her head as she realises we're safe. "Is he gone, Citria?"

"Yeah; he's gone. Are you okay?"

She looks down at her own body, frantically using her hands to feel for any blood. "Y-Yes; I think it missed me."

"Good. Good." A sigh of relief passes my lips, before my attention moves to Michael. "Is Reiss okay, Michael?"

He acknowledges my question, and in order to answer, he looks down at Reiss, and taps him gently. "Uncle Reiss, are you okay? Marco's gone. He just left."

Reiss doesn't respond to Michael; he remains still. Michael furrows his brows, clearly feeling a little worried, before shaking his uncle. "Uncle Reiss? Did you hear me?"

He then forces him to roll over onto his back, and that's when we all catch sight of the crimson blood that stains his hair.

"Oh my God!" Clover cries; and she and I both gather around Reiss, along with Michael. "Reiss! Reiss! Please don't be dead!" She desperately shakes him, in attempt to wake him up ... but to no avail.

Reiss is gone.

"No!" Michael screams, taking Reiss by the back of his neck, and lifting his head gently. "Uncle Reiss, please! You're the only biological family I have left! Don't do this to me!"

"Michael! ... Michael." My hand carefully rests against his shoulder, as a tear falls down my cheek. "He isn't coming back, sweetie."

He shakily sets Reiss' head back down on the floor, and he trembles over the body. His lip quivers at the realisation that his uncle is gone, whilst tears form thickly in his glazed-over eyes.

"No ... " he pleads, almost silently. "Not now, Uncle Reiss. Please ... " His face contorts in emotional agony, as he swallows back his cries. His lips part to breathe, just as his tears fall down his cheeks. A loud sob sounds from him, as he breaks down into tears. "Please, n-not now ... "

"I'm so sorry, Michael," I frown, moving from one side of Reiss, to the other – where Michael is knelt. "I'm so, so sorry." Not knowing what else to say, I bring him into my arms, running my fingers gently through his curls.