Chapter Forty-eight - We're Living For Them

Chapter forty-eight – We're Living For Them

~~

November 26, 1987

-Citria's Point of View-

After finishing the time capsule a few days ago, Michael and I decided it would be a nice idea to have a little "Life Party" for everyone that's been lost this year. That not only includes both my parents, but his entire family, too. It'll be an emotional, yet beautiful event ... even if it'll only have four guests. You could say it's not really a party; it's more of a little get-together between four people.

Reiss and Clover are coming over a little later on, so Michael and I have been preparing a few snacks for when they arrive. The grief from losing my father is still killing me, but Michael has helped to numb the pain a little. He's been trying to make me smile more than usual, which is really sweet of him to do. I'm glad I have a man as wonderful as him.

To be honest though, I'm still worried about him. He's not spoken about his own family for quite a while now. I'm beginning to wonder whether or not he's trying to bottle it up inside; if that's the case, then he's doing himself no good. It'll eventually make his mental and emotional health deteriorate, and I really don't want that to happen.

But right now, everything seems to be ... manageable, I suppose. It'll never be easy having no parents on either mine or Michael's parts, but we have enough people around us to know we aren't alone. It helps to have one another, as well.

Clover and Reiss are set to come at 4:00pm, and right now it's 12:36pm. We still have quite some time before they arrive. More than enough time to finish the snacks, and perhaps relax a little.

"Let me just take the cupcakes out of the oven, Michael," I say, slipping past him as he arranges individual slices of mixed-berry pie on a pretty rack.

He was the one who wanted to have the pie; I don't blame him in all honesty. After all, it's what his mother used to cook for him.

"Yes! The edible angels are back!" he grins, turning around and removing all attention from his pie; instead watching me with an unfaltering eye.

"You like the cupcakes, huh?" I chuckle softly, sliding them out of the oven, and setting them on the side. "Well, you can't have any until later."

He slowly moves his hand towards the tray that contains the cake. "I just wanna try one—"

"No!" I playfully slap his hand away, giving him a glare of mock disapproval.

"Oaw!" he hisses, gently rubbing the hand I hit with his other, non-stinging hand. "That happened to hurt, Miss Espinosa."

"Did it?" I frown, coming opposite him and sticking my bottom lip out, as if feeling sorry for him. "Isn't that a shame?"

His expression changes to match mine, as a small pout forms on his lips. "Yeah. Is she going to kiss it better?"

"You wish I was going to," I tease, beginning to walk away from him. When I turn my head, I see that he's got the most adorable forlorn face, which can't help but tug at my heart. "Aww! Stop being so cute, Michael!" I cry, walking back towards him. "You know I love you too much to say no to you." Taking his hand, I kiss his knuckles gently, looking up at him. "You can try a cupcake if you want."