Twelve

Twelve— Free Fall

It was almost eleven when Andrea drove into the parking lot of the condominium. She took her purse and was about to go out of the car when she caught a glimpse of a shadow on her rear view mirror. She immediately checked the left side mirror then the other but it didn’t appear again.

Why does it seem like someone is following me?

She got out of her car, locked it and replaced the key in her purse. Her heels thumped on the floor as she made her way to the stairs just a couple of yards away. She was well aware of the eerie silence making her pace turn up instinctively.

Someone is definitely watching her and she could feel it. Even though she rarely gets too scared about such things, that night, she broke into cold sweat and her heartbeat picked up almost painfully in her chest. She was dead scared. The absence of people around terrified her a lot more.

Andrea took off her shoes and ran for the stairs but at the last few steps, she was literally swept off her feet and all of a sudden, her world turned upside down. She grabbed on anything she could which happened to be the heavy jacket her abductor was wearing.

“Who are you?!” She hissed at him as she struggled against the pair of arms holding her tight.

She was being carried by the shoulder, away from the stairs. She threw punches on his back but he didn’t even flinch. Her struggles went on until he realized where he was taking her. Tears started to fall for the first time in a long time as her punches weakened. It was all like the nightmare she tried hard to push away… happening all over again.

The subtle ping sounded like a loud gong in Andrea’s head. She pressed her hands tightly on her ears as she begged for it to stop. There is a reason why she is claustrophobic but no one knew about it because it is a weakness. She should remain as the woman without any vulnerability in the eyes of others.

He threw her inside the elevator and she hit her back on the steel wall. Having been released, she tried to kick him away but the man held on her legs which left bruises on her white skin. She looked at his face but he was wearing a black mask and all she could see are pale blue eyes in the darkness of his hooded jacket.

He took her face in his hand and let his thumb and index finger dig on her cheeks. He leaned close to her and she could clearly see the evil through the sky blue orbs staring her down.

“Who are you?” She said, surprised by her cracking voice.

His eyes narrowed as if to smirk at her. He loved seeing her scared and weak in front of him. More than that, he loves seeing fear.

Suddenly, he took out a small, shiny knife from the pocket of his jacket. He placed his hand on her neck to restrain her from moving. And then he pressed the knife on her trembling lips, satisfied at the dread shaking her whole being.

“What the—“

Andrea’s attacker turned at another man’s voice and saw that the elevator doors opened and a tall young man was looking at them with terror. He immediately let her go and pushed the younger forcefully onto the floor, dropping the bag of food he was holding.

“Andrea, are you okay?” Sehun called out at Andrea and hurriedly stood up to go to her but the attacker stood between them.

“Isn’t your boyfriend older than this punk?” The mystery man’s voice was almost in a whisper.

“Get lost.” Sehun warned.

The man spread his arms at him as if to mock him and taunt him which easily made the younger a lot angrier. When he was about to launch into an attack, a security guard showed up. The attacker looked around and saluted Sehun before disappearing far into the night. The guard chased him and Sehun ran to Andrea’s aid.