Fifteen

Fifteen—Turn

The hospital corridors are quiet that night as Andrea walked to Jessica’s room. She brought her some apples—something they often ate together before. When she entered the room, she was surprised to see Jessica standing by the window, admiring the fresh flowers in her vase.

“Still no idea who your admirer is?” Andrea walked in, making her sister turn to her.

“Big sis.” Her sister smiled widely at her and spread her arms.

Andrea was taken aback for a few seconds upon seeing Jessica look like she’s always used to: a cheerful teenager who’s always asked for affection from her older sister. Andrea let her sister hug her as she embraced her back tightly. Her whole life has always been about loving and protecting her sister that some may see it as an obsession. Even with Henry beside her, Jessica has always been her number one priority, all be damned.

“What did you bring for me?” Jessica held her sister’s hand and led her to sit on her bed.

“Apples.”

Andrea wanted to smile but it was too painful to stretch the already stone cold muscles around her lips. She stood up to hide it and took a small knife to peel the apples. She sat on the chair next to the bed and focused on the fruit.

“Can I ask you something?” Jessica spoke.

“Hmm?” Andrea continued with her task, carefully cutting the apples evenly.

“I’ve been here in the hospital for more than a month now but…” Jessica’s forehead wrinkled, “Nobody has told me why I was brought here in the first place. So why am I here?”

Andrea stopped halfway into cutting and sighed. The day that she had to tell Jessica that she was violated is one of those things she feared to do. But as she looked into Jessica’s curious eyes, she couldn’t bring herself to tell her the truth just yet.

“You had an accident.”

“Accident? What kind of accident?”

“Car.”

“Who was driving?”

“A driver from La Bella.”

“Where is he now?”

“He resigned.”

“Why?”

“Jessica, stop asking.”

“But why? I want to know if someone else got hurt because I can’t remember anything about my accident.”

“It doesn’t matter, okay?” Andrea said, finishing cutting the apple, “What matters is that you are alive and safe.”

Just then, Tiffany knocks on the door and comes in. Jessica smiles at her and she smiles back awkwardly as her boss looked at her with unblinking eyes. She turned to put some supplies in the cabinet.

“Tiffany, my sister looks so tired and sad. What have you done to her?” Jessica asked playfully.

“Do you mean I look ugly, huh?” Andrea poked her sister’s side.

“Yah… I didn’t say that. I just think you need vacation big sis.” Jessica purred.

“That’s right. Ms. Choi could really use some rest.” Tiffany added.

Andrea just shook her head, dismissing the thought of taking a rest with all this mess happening. On top of that, she is still yet to know whether her sister will still love her the same when she finds out about her secrets.