06 | Destructive little thing

"Let's go somewhere after school."

Those words spoke by Makena make me pause.

"What?"

"I said: let's -"

"I know what you said." I cut her off. "But... What?"

Makena smirks. "You're not an outdoor person, are you?"

I shake my head.

"And heavens chose me to be the one to change it." She smiles. "You see, when people are friends, they sometimes go somewhere, just to have fun. Like a date, but not quite, because that would be just strange. Wait. You know what a date is, right?"

I roll my eyes.

"Okay." She chuckles. "One can never be too sure with you."

"Ha. Ha."

The fact my limited lifestyle amused her is really delightful.

"So. Do you have some time to spare?"

I'm seeing Ms. Brownstone today. Which means I don't have any free time, since Everett picks me up and drives me to my visit straight after school. 

Or not.

"I do." I tell her.

"Great." Her face lights up as if I've just promised her a million dollars. Which is something I don't understand because really, why would she be so happy about going somewhere with me? "Let's meet in front of the school after our lessons, okay?"

I nod at the exact moment the bell rings. Makena has found me on the corridor during the break but now we had to part ways. She waves at me with a smile and disappears into the crowd. And I spend the next forty-five minutes wondering why the hell would she want to go anywhere with a fuck-up like me.

~*~

I lean against the wall outside of our school when Makena comes rushing through the door. Some of her curly hair had fallen out of her bun and is now falling around her face. She brushes it away impatiently as she runs up to me.

"Sorry I'm late. Mr. Gartmann stopped me again and - what are you doing?"

I shrug. "Giving vent to my inner creativity."

Makena eyes my doodles-covered hand.

"Okay." She says slowly, extending the vowels. "So can we get going or are you planning on covering every inch of your body with art?"

I click off my pen and push off the wall. "I'd have to strip to do it, and I'm not sure that's something I'm eager on doing right here."

She nods. "I totally support your decision. Now, let's get going. I want to get out of here as soon as I can. Any extra second spent here is a second taken away from my precious life."

By the time she finishes talking, she's already walking away. I hide my pen in my jeans pocket and hurry after her.

"So, where are we going?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest. Makena flashes me a sidelong grin.

"Wouldn't you like to know."

I don't push, deciding she's not going to tell me anyway. I don't have to wait long, though, because no sooner than we cross the street, Makena is opening a glass door leading to a small coffee shop.

"Caffair?" I ask, raising a brow. "That's it?"

"Tone it down, girl." Makena says drily. "Or you'll set the whole place on fire with your excitement."