33 | His spark

Jed's POV

The best thing I heard today

Spoken by: Fiona

Quoting: "My dancing skills would give Patrick Swayze a run for his money."

***

"Why?"

I raise my chin from where it was resting against the top of Ada's head and glanced down at her.

"Why what?" I ask.

"Why are you doing this?" Ada lifts her chin to meet my gaze. I hold it, getting lost for a moment in those golden orbs.

"I ain't doin' nothin'." I respond jokingly. Ada acts exasperated but I saw that little twitch of a muscle in the corner of her mouth.

"You know what I mean."

Of course I do. I just can never resist the chance to mess with her.

"Why do you always need to have a reason for having fun?" I respond with a question for a question.

She thinks for a moment.

"I don't need a reason for having fun." She finally answers. "I need a reason for why you are so determined to give me this fun."

A strange, warm feeling took up its residence in my gut. She was so clueless. So naive. So... distrustful. I wonder if she ever will be able to let go of her fear to confide in people.

Ada has already run away with her gaze, so I lift a hand and place two fingers beneath her chin. Applying gentle pressure, I force her to look into my eyes once more. I wait for a second more to make sure I have her full attention before speaking.

"I like you, Ada." I say the words slowly and clearly, putting much emphasis behind them. For some reason, making this grumpy, red-haired girl in front of me believe them has become my number one priority. "I like seeing you happy. I like being the reason behind why you're happy. Is that so hard to understand?"

The terrified look crossing her face tells me it is. Ada tries to lower her head, but I hold her chin firmly, refusing to let her escape. She's been running for too long, and now it's the highest time to show her what I've been trying to get in her stubborn, red head - there is nothing to be afraid of. This girl is a living flame - can be a living flame, but for some reason, she refuses to burn, remaining just a mere ember buried amongst the ashes. I don't like it.

I want to see her catch on fire. I want to see her burn a living flame, as bright as her beautiful hair. I want to be the spark that ignites her.

Just like she has grown to be mine.

My hold prevents Ada from escaping. If she did, I know she wouldn't stop until she was out of my house, or even this city. One of the things I love about her is the unpredictability she carries inside herself - how every next move is always a mystery with her. Unfortunately, sometimes it can be as harmful as it is fascinating. For example now, when it's already dark outside and all the nighttime adventure seekers are out for the hunt. I doubt Ada's brother would appreciate it if the night ended with his little sister found by the police in some gutter. I sure as hell wouldn't like it - hate it, even. The mere thought of something happening to Ada has my skin crawling and my ricocheting heartbeat pump adrenaline into my whole body. Therefore, I will not let her out of my embrace soon. Not when I'm as glad as I am finally having her there.

Because no one has even fit there like she does.

Swaying us softly to the slow beat of the song playing, I try to ease the tension out of Ada. Bowing my head, I position my lips close to her ear and start humming to the music. After a while, her whole body relaxes and she leans int me, most probably unconsciously. She is still dressed in her sweatpants and a baggy sweatshirt, but right now, she could be wearing a bathing robe and I wouldn't care less. If I close my eyes, I can almost imagine we're in the school's gym, swaying on the polished parquet, me in an elegant tuxedo and Ada in a long, silky dress. A red one. She couldn't possibly be wearing another color. Not in my fantasy.