20 | Nothing to be afraid of

Complement #2

Said to: Mum

I really love your shirt.

***

The first month at school passed surprisingly fast.

Four weeks seemed like one and before I know it, I find myself sitting in Mrs. Scottinson's class again, clutching my worn-out copy of Pride and Prejudice.

It's the day of the great discussion. Originally, she gave us three weeks but after three-quarters of students declared that they haven't even finished the first chapter, she agreed to put off the deadline. She wanted to have someone to hold the discussion with. I guess talking with three out of twenty people doesn't fulfill her definition of fun.

I occupy my usual seat in the back and busy myself with going through all of my favourite moments to kill the time left until the bell. I'm in the middle of Mr. Collins's proposal when a sudden tug on my ponytail jerks my head back. The book falls out of my hands and closes with a thud as I spin backwards. My eyes narrow in on the familiar picture.

A cat-chasing-the-mouse grin. Eyebrows arched mockingly. Glasses on.

Jed Hall didn't fail to grace us with his presence today.

"I'm in the possession of a hard-covered, 246 pages copy of a very old, and very solid book." I tell him as my form of hello.

As usual, my words don't bother him as much as they should. "And here I was, hoping for a warmer welcome after Saturday night."

"Hope often blinks at a fool."

"Ouch." Jed clicks his tongue. "I think I preferred you when you were pliant."

Pliant? There's something wrong with him if he thinks a simple touch and a few whispered words can make me pliant.

I open my mouth to say - something, but the sound of the bell ringing stops me. I exhale with relief, grateful I didn't manage to make a fool out of myself by saying something stupid. I turn back around in my seat and face the blackboard, aware of Jed's eyes drilling holes in my back. My spine stiffens but other than that, I try to seem unaffected. I relax slightly when Makena bursts into the classroom, sending me an apologetic smile for coming in late. I arch a brow questioningly but she just shakes her head with a secretive grin. I don't have the chance to talk to her, though, because Mrs. Scottinson enters the classroom and begins the lesson.

The time flies by as the discussion goes on. We glide through the topics smoothly, sharing our points of view and voicing our doubts. I listen rather passively, busying myself with doodling in my notebook. I wake up, though, when a deep voice rumbles behind me, startling me.

"I don't think about it that way. Elizabeth couldn't have been aware of Mr. Darcy's feelings for her."

I blink myself back into focus. I didn't even notice when I lost contact with the reality. Now I don't even know what they're talking about. My eyes dart to Mrs. Scottinson who watches Jed curiously.

"Go on." She says.

"Well, he was cold and indifferent. There was no way for him to see past his façade." Jed explains.

When the last words leave his mouth, I feel something hit the underside of my chair. I whip around to find Jed's brown eyes already focused on me.

I eye him, trying to figure out what game he's playing now and he glares right back, never backing down.

"He pretended not to care." He continues, keeping his eyes locked with mine. "But deep down, he was falling apart."

My jaw locks and my eyes narrow, but not once leave his.