12 | Paper ball

"Homecoming." Mrs. Scottinson says, motioning at the blackboard. "The main, or even only reason behind why most of you managed to survive high school."

I square my shoulders and sink down in my chair. The reasoning Mrs. Scottinson just mentioned is definitely not mine. And not just because I didn't attend proper high school for the past two years.

"This year, the honor of organizing this wonderful event happens to be mine. It's my responsibility to get the decorations done, arrange the gym and, what's most important, come up with the main theme."

Mrs. Scottinson clasps her hand together in a manner so typical of her.

"As the senior students, I decided you will be the ones to help me with that. Of course, we still have the support of the sections responsible for decorating and event organizing, but it doesn't mean they should do this all alone. Homecoming is something meant for every single one of you, so you can as well be a part of it."

The student's reactions vary from frowns to vigorous nods. All I do is sit and pray to disappear.

"This lesson is about a brainstorm. I told you to get in pairs to discuss all of your ideas and note them down. After some time, we're going to divide into bigger groups until finally, we'll have a big debate in which every group or pair will share their ideas with the rest of the class. Then we'll have a little voting. The idea with the biggest number of votes will become the official main topic of this year's homecoming. So make sure to make your brains work, this is a rivalry, after all."

Mrs. Scottinson looks pointedly at a guy with an especially disgruntled look on his face.

"Alright, enough talking! Join your partners and let the brainstorm begin!"

I ignore her and remain sitting in my chair, staring at the blackboard absentmindedly. I'm aware of other people shuffling around and arranging their seats but I don't make a move tot urn to Jed. I can tell something's poking me in the back, right between my shoulder blades, but I don't pay it much attention. At one point, something soft hits my head before tumbling to the floor next to me. I remain motionless, keeping my eyes fixed on one spot.

Suddenly, a movement appears in my peripheral vision. A hand waves in front of my face, breaking me out of my haze. I shot up in my chair, blinking myself back into reality. My gaze zeroes in on Jed who's staring at me expectantly.I look at him with a blank expression on my face and he raises a brow.

"Hello? Do I have your attention now?" He asks, bringing his face closer to mine.

I nod slowly, focusing my eyes on his. We stare at each other for a moment before Jed cocks his head to the side.

"Do you do this often?" He asks.

"Do what?"

"Check out." He nods his chin towards me.

"I didn't check out." I object. "I was trying to disappear."

The brow rides up higher. "Why?"

"It's none of your business."

'You're my partner for the next thirty minutes. I think it is my business."

"No, it's not."

"It so i-"

I sigh protractedly and curl my fingers together to keep myself from strangling him.

"Look, let's just leave it and change the topic."

"Sure." Jed's lips stretch in an arrogant grin as he leans back in his chair and crosses an ankle over his knee. "Let's go back to the topic from before Mrs. Scottinson's interruption."