19 | Demon unleashed

"I hear that you had guests for the Saturday dinner." Ms. Brownstone says.

It's good to know my parents keep her updated on every aspect of my life.

"We did." I nod.

"Well?" She raises a brow. "Care to share some details?"

Not really.

"Sure." I shrug. "We ate turkey."

Take that for details.

Ms. Brownstone's lips twitch uncontrollably. "That's great, Ada." She says. She'll never let me know but I can tell I'm starting to bug her.

Huh. So it is possible to crack her shell, after all.

"What about something concerning the guests?"

"They came."

Another twitch. I'm enjoying this more than I should.

"You're in an exceptionally mood today." Ms. Brownstone observes. "May I ask for the reason?"

I'd like to know it myself.

"Let's just say I remembered to get up with my right leg for once." I simply say.

"Oh?" A single brow arches. "So it has nothing to do with Jed's visit in your house?"

Where the hell did that come from?

"No."

"Fine." Ms. Brownstone is a terrible liar. One would think that as a therapist, she should master in the department. No such luck. "Let's move on to your thoughts about Saturday, then."

She watches me expectantly and I blink. "I have no thoughts."

"The blush on your cheeks tells a different story."

Dammit. My hand instinctively flies up to feel my cheek. I drop it back down when I realize what I'm about to do. But Ms. Brownstone's expression tells me all I have to know.

I curse silently in my mind. I'm really starting to hate that blush.

"I'm not blushing." I protest, clenching my hands in my lap. "It's just really hot in here."

"You're free to open the window."

"No, thank you."

I know how ridiculous this sounds, but hey, so do all of our conversations.

"Alright." The secretive smile doesn't disappear from Ms. Brownstone's lips. "How about we talk about school?"

"It was great."

"Great?" I can tell I surprised her. "What makes today so special?"

"I saw Makena today"

I really did see her. Today was the day she came back to school after two weeks of absence, and that really made this day special.

The moment she saw me, she let out a terrifying squeal and threw herself across the hallway towards me. The force of her hug could bring a grown man to his knees.

She refused to leave my side for the whole day, gluing herself off my hip only for the class time. She spent the whole lunch break with me, chatting my ears off and babbling about everything.

Oddly enough, I found myself enjoying it. Not so long ago, a telltale like her would make me want to rip my own hair out and hide somewhere dark. Today, I found myself smiling in the most surprising moments and enjoying her active company.

And even though I don't tell Ms. Brownstone that, I think she can tell all of it by herself.

"That's fantastic. Did you tell her you missed her?"