15 | A change

There's a whole Dearg family meeting stationed in Ms. Brownstone's office.

My Mum and Dad are sat on the couch, assisted by Everett who half-levitates, half-sits on the armrest. Ms. Brownstone takes her typical place in her armchair. And I, - pay attention - occupy the other one, the one she never let me touch. For the past year, I've been wondering what it takes to take place in the legendary armchair.

Turns out, all I had to do was punch somebody in the face. Cinch.

I was lucky enough to have a teacher walking by right in the second I decided to slap Jed. He saw the whole incident and led me straight to the principal's office. And because the guy knows my Mum and is aware of my issues, he sent me back to the school therapist's room. She, in turn, thumbed through my papers and found the note saying she's supposed to call Ms. Brownstone in case an incident like this one took place. As so now here I am, sitting in the legendary armchair and listening to four people telling me off.

Now, I'm not a fan of our sessions when they're necessary, so saying I'm unhappy when I have to see her overtime would be an understatement. I might not be the queen of fun, but everything is better than this.

"We had a deal, Daira." Everett speaks. "You were supposed to at least try to blend in."

Of course he's the one to talk most. He feels like he has the right to. I, on the other hand, have another view on the topic.

"I am." I say in an emotionless voice. "You think people don't punch each other every day?"

"No, they don't." My Dad cuts in. "It's not something people do on daily basis."

I arch a brow. "Have you ever attended high school?"

"Alright." Ms. Brownstone lifts her hands in a calming gesture, somehow sensing the oncoming fight. She eyes us all briefly before focusing on me. "Let's take it slow. Ada, why did you hit the boy in the first place?"

Because he's an asshole.

"He offended a shy, albino guy. Excuse me for not wanting to stand by and let him mix him with mud." Is my reply.

"I understand your point." Ms. Brownstone nods. "But aren't there other ways of dealing with situations like this one?"

"True. I could have punched him somewhere more painful."

"Ada!" Mum exclaims, shock widening her eyes. "I don't recognise you."

"That's because you never knew me in the first place, Mum."

Everett's long sigh seeps into my bones and makes me bristle. "Daira, please. Don't turn this into a family therapy."

Oh God no. As much as I'd like to make them have to suffer through the meetings two times a week, I have no intentions of going through these forty minutes with them at my side. My head is on the verge of exploding after barely ten minutes, I can't risk this happening more often.

"I have no desire to." I murmur.

"Ada, I know you might not feel it, but the case is serious." Ms. Brownstone says. "You hit someone."

"And I also threw him down the stairs. And for some reason, you decided that something that will give him a bruise is more serious than what could have cracked his head open."

"Yes, but the last time it wasn't on pu-"

"Wait." Everett steps in, cutting Ms. Brownstone off mid-sentence. All the eyes in the room focus on him, but his are only for me. "The guy you hit is the same one you pushed down the stairs?"