18 | Red as a beetroot

Jed

I think Fiona's about to pass out.

It's not possible to be this red and still function. From the very moment the dinner started, her face has been getting redder and redder. Now, when we're done with the main course, it's almost redder than her hair. I guess she's still nervous about how she showed up in her pajamas. Guess she didn't know my Mom was coming.

Well, neither did I.

I was positive I was going to come to the dinner alone. Daylen is busy as usual, Dad's not home, and I doubted Mom was going to want to go out. Turns out, I underestimated her. I put off telling her about the invitation until yesterday, but once I did, she was all too happy to take it. I guess she misses going out on daily basis and takes whatever chance she gets. I didn't want to go at all at first - I'm not fond of letting other people know my Mom's disabled. It's not that I'm ashamed of it. I'm not. The thing is, once people get to learn someone you're close to is sick, they view of you changes. They start looking at you differently. Treating you differently. I don't like it, and neither does Mom. But it didn't feel right to keep the secret from her, so I told her. And once I saw the light appearing in her eyes at the news, I just couldn't tell her no.

I get to see that light less and less nowadays. I'll do everything to see it more often.

And so here I am, sitting exactly opposite of Fiona, and having the pleasure of watching her get even redder. It's ridiculous, really. If she doesn't stop one of the veins in her head is going to pop.

"Ada?" Her head swings up sharply when I address her. "Would you mind showing me to the patio? I need some fresh air."

Her eyes narrow in on me. She's definitely trying to spot a bluff.

"It's the big door in the living room." She says.

"Which one?"

I know there's only one pair of doors in the living room, but I enjoy the way her jaw clenches way too much.

"The -"

"Ada, honey." Her Mom cuts in. "I think Jed asked you to show him to the patio. Not give him the directions."

"But -"

"Ada." Warning sounds in her Dad's voice. "Please."

"Fine." She does her best to hide her scowl and stands. Rounding the table, she comes to a stop next to my chair and extends her hand.

"Please come along, Jed." She says with a sweet smile.

I excuse myself and quickly make sure Mom's going to be okay without me before standing. I eye Fiona's extended hand suspiciously, but take it, curious of what she's going to do. The moment I place my palm in hers, her fingers close around mine with a lightning-fast speed and squeeze my hand painfully.

"This way." She says, tightening her hold.

I send Mom a tight smile before following Ada into the living room. The moment we step out of the adults' sight, Ada lets go of my hand as if it's burnt her. Not caring to spare me a glance, she storms across the room and approaches the French door. She opens it with such force I'm surprised the handle didn't remain in her hand. She doesn't bother to wait for me and steps out into the night, clearly waiting for me to follow.

When I do, I'm attacked before I can even step outside fully. "What the hell was that?"

"What was what?" I frown.

"This." She waves her hand in the air. "The show of wanting to get some fresh air."

"It wasn't a show." I shrug casually, sliding my hands into my pockets. "I really needed some air. It's really hot in your house, you know."