Chapter Two

Chapter Two

~Kellin's POV

We continued to hug; I only knew this girl for a day and we're already kissing. Okay then.

Scarlett and I pulled away at the same time, she still a little choked up from crying and she cleared her throat to speak, "Well, I, uh, should get going..." she said.

"Wait." I said, almost as if to myself.

She gave me a puzzled look, "What?" she questioned.

"Why?" I said, looking down at her scars.

"Why what? What are yo -?"

"You know damn well what I'm talking about, Scarlett." I replied, still looking at her scars. I didn't even realize that I was holding both of her arms, and she pulled them away slowly. She was silent, and I was desperate to get an answer out of her.

"Well?" I said impatiently.

"I, uh..." she paused, and then sighed, "This is a long story."

"I have the time." I answered, looking up at her.

"Well, when I was a little girl, my mom couldn't afford a kid; she was a single mother and she didn't pay bills. She couldn't afford a kid: the food, education, none of it. So she had to get rid of me. She didn't send me off to an orphanage when she gave me up; she just left me on the side of the road.

"I starved, but I learned to live with it. A young married couple saw me and they took me in. I still live with them now, but they're not as pleasant as they seem." She paused, getting a little choked up.

"What do you mean?" I replied.

"They...uh....they abuse me."

That's when I got pissed off. It made me sick, the fact that you could live with yourself when you hit your own kin. Ugh.

"Why?" I questioned, trying to hide my anger.

She shrugged and looked down, blinking away the tears, "I don't know..." she answered honestly.

It was silent for a few moments until I heard Scarlett soft sobbing to her, I looked at her and gave her a hug. We had to have been hugging for a number of minutes. She was crying into my shoulder.

She sniffed, "I-I don't want to go home." She said nervously. Should I invite her to stay the night? I mean, we do have a spare bedroom...

"Why don't you just stay here for tonight?" I said, not realizing that I should've asked my mom before saying anything. She pulled away from the hug.

"I can't do that...I don't want to be a bother to you and your mom."

"You won't be a bother; it's just for tonight anyways." I replied, walking out of the room and into the kitchen where my mom was cooking spaghetti.

"Hey, uh, mom?" I said nervously.

"Yes sweetie?" she said, turning from the stove.

"Do you uh...do you mind if, uh, Scarlett stays the night?" I said rapidly, "she's having some family problems and it'd be really ni -"

She put her hand up, telling me to stop talking; she paused then nodded, "sure. Just so long as you guys don't plan on...well y'know." She said, awkwardly joking, but winking afterwards.

I blushed slightly, "I wasn't planning on doing that mom..." I said softly. She giggled, "Uh sure. Does she want to sleep in the spare bedroom or..?"

I shrugged, "I'll ask later. Is dinner almost ready?"

"About ten more minutes," she replied with a smile.