Chapter 7- New Man In The Office

Mal POV

I was going back to work.  If I played my cards right, that is.  Lindy had stuck me with Analee for the rest of the day, and as much as I was seriously enjoying forcing her to do all of my work for me, I was seriously starting to doubt my ability to catch up on the cases.  I had already missed one day of work, and the stack of papers on my desk wasn't getting any smaller.  It was, if possible, somehow getting larger.  That probably had to do with the fact that Marc had stopped by with another pile of five or so cases that had come in overnight.  George was going to kill me, and I hadn't even gotten started yet.

The case resting on the top of the new pile was taunting me.  Everytime I turned around to stare out the window, it was as though the pile was calling my name, and I had never felt like more of a lunatic for thinking so. 

I hadn't even decided if I was going to take the case yet.  It was just a stack of a few papers stuck between a manilla folder, so it shouldn't have the ability to stun me into silence.  It was the black calligraphy typed out onto the paper that had my interest.  Ms. O'Callahan, stabbed to death on Main street, at the age of thirty eight.  Out for her regular nightly stroll, she somehow ended up at the wrong end of a knife, and her ex boyfriend, Marcus O'Connor, was on trial for second degree murder.  This was my case.  I'd pass off the divorce to Marc when I got into the office, but right now, first, I needed to get rid of the girl who was organizing my files.

***

Analee POV

Well I never.  That was absolutely ridiculous, and I'm pretty sure he did it on purpose.  I spent the last three hours organizing his god forsaken files in alphabetical order, and what does he do?  As soon as I finish, he reaches down, grabs the file on the bottom, and yanks it out, sending the rest of the pile flying onto the floor.  Out of order. Again. 

I had stomped out in a storm of curses and huffs, attempting to ignore his rambuncious laughter that followed me, even to the kitchen.  He was an asshole.  And I might be being biased, seeing as he just destroyed the product of the last three hours of my life, but still.  I'm pretty sure he was trying to kick me out without making it obvious.  Or admitting that he really didn't need me around, thank god for that. 

I huffed my way into the living room, and collapsed onto the maroon leather couch.  The five boys who were already occupying the room halted conversation and turned to give me a questioning glance. 

"Uh, is something wrong Lee?" Michael asked, after my fifth elongated sigh.

"Some brothers you guys are! That took five sighs!" Teegan and Luke burst into laughter from their places on the floor, rolling around clutching at their stomachs like the losers they were.  I huffed. 

"Alright Analee, what's up?" that was my other brother.  The one that cared.

"Mom is making me the personal assisstant of the new guy!" I whined, jutting my bottom lip out in a pout.  "And he keeps hitting on me!"  From their places, Cole and the extra brother, Jacob, stiffled their laughter.

"Oh man, he really has guts doesn't he?" Jacob asked, shaking his head.  "I need to meet this guy! All of you keep rambling on about the dude who whooped your asses on xbox."  The rest of the boys exchanged looks, before looking back at me. Busted.

"You played xbox with him?" I gaped, staring at each of my brothers ashamed faces.  Michael, at least, had the decency to attempt a straight face.

"He's not a bad dude..." Cole said calmly, nudging Jake in the side and shooting him a sharp look.  "I mean... for a bastard," he quickly amended at my fierce look. 

"Argh! He got to you too!" I shouted, springing to my feet.  "He's a douche bag.  A jerk.  A manwhore.  I caught him and Jessica in the janitors closet on his first day."

"Seriously? What a dude," Teegan said with wide eyes.  At  my incredulous look, he shrugged.  "What? I'd tap that too."

"Nooo!" I screamed, covering my ears.  "I don't want to hear this!"

"Calm down Lee," Cole laughing, reaching over to pat my arm.  "He's done."

"Good."  I uncovered my ears and fixed a glare on Teegan.  "He's my new official enemy.  Do you know what he did to me? He un alphabeticalized my files! I spent three hours on that!"

"Oooh noo, whatever will you do?" Michael mocked, rolling his eyes. "Honestly. Calm down girly, he's a cool dude."

"No. He's not.  He's a douche," I repeated, pointing a finger at all of the boys. "And you all are going to figure that out soon."  I turned on my heel and stomped away from the idiotic boys.  What was I thinking going to them for comfort?  They obviousy were just a-typical boys.  Hopeless, annoying, and blinded by someones ability to play video games with one arm, and a girl with the other.

"He's just a boy," I muttered, stomping towards the kitchen.  "A boy who could never beat me at my own game.  He could never survive my tactics."

I collapsed in a stool at the breakfast bar, so lost in my own thoughts that I missed the fact that there was a 6"3 dude resting against the counter, listening to every word I said.

"Tactics huh?" he laughed.  I sat up straight immediatly at the surprising voice,  then frowned.

"Oh. It's you."

"Yes. It's me. And what kind of tactics do you mean here Lee?" He asked, leaning across the bar towards me.  I narrowed my eyes.

"None of your buisness New Guy."

"My name is Mal. And if its assumed that I could never survive these 'tactics' shouldn't I know what they are?"  I surveyed his face silently.

"I thought it was Malcolm.  And nothing of your concern."

"I'm thinking you were suggesting a war.  You don't want to fight with me Analee," he chuckled.

"I think you have that reversed.  No one beats me in something like this."

"Prank war?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. I held out my hand for him to shake.

"You're on princess."  I smirked, and spun around.  "By the way... your flies open."  He glanced down quickly, and I stiffled a laugh.  Newbie. 

On my way back to my bedroom, I laughed to myself silently.

There may be a new man in the office, but he was no match for me.

There was a prank queen on the premisis.

Beware.