Chapter 8: Telling Stories

Peter quickly flew back to the nursery window. He knew he was late, and he hoped Wendy hadn't thought he wasn't coming.

Peter and Tinkerbell had been at the Darling home earlier that night. He had listened to the story of Cinderella with rapture, while Tink sat on a branch throwing a temper tantrum. He watched as Wendy told the story to her brothers and acted out every scene. He noticed the brilliant sparkle in her eyes and the slight flush to her cheeks as she finished the story. His heart beat a war chant when she smiled out the window. He also wondered why his heart kept doing that every time he was around Wendy or thought of her. It was strange, and he hoped it wasn't a bad thing.

After the story Peter explained to Tink that he was staying until the children had gone to bed. He had promised Wendy that he would come and he was keeping his promise. Tink threw a fairy fit. It involved quite a bit of pinching and harsh jingling sounds.

Peter flew away from the house in order to be able to talk to Tink without having to whisper. It was quite a lengthy argument. Tink flew away absolutely livid and left Peter very confused. He had no idea why Tink was putting up such a fuss. But he decided it was probably a good thing Tink wouldn't be coming back to the nursery with him. He didn't want her to wake anyone up.

Peter landed quietly on the windowsill and peered in. The moonlight streaming in illuminated the nursery quite well. He saw the littlest boy, or a lump about that size, in one of the beds. And in the other bed there was a larger lump he assumed to be the older boy.

There was another figure by the older boy's bed. The soft, brown, curls glowed in the moonlight; a simple blue ribbon pulled part of them up. It was Wendy. Peter smiled. Good she was still awake. He gently opened the window. Wendy shivered and started to turn around.

So that he didn't spook her, Peter spoke up, "Hullo Wendy."

...............................................................................................................

It took a minute for Wendy's mind to catch up with her eyes. "Peter," she said breathlessly, as if she didn't really believe he was there. But, there he was, floating in the window, hands on hips and grinning.

"Peter! Oh Peter!" Wendy exclaimed clasping her hands together. "I just knew you would come. I just knew it! I was so certain that...."

Peter watched in amusement as Wendy continued about the room talking to herself. He crossed his arms and leaned against the window frame quietly laughing.

Wendy was just about to say "a gentleman always keeps his word" when she heard the sound of laughter. She was puzzled for a moment, not placing where it was coming from. Then it hit her. She had completely forgotten about Peter! Cheeks turning bright red, she clamped her mouth shut. Trying to compose herself and hide the blush she quickly walked to the window.

"Oh Peter do forgive me! And please come in! I didn't even realize...and there is such a chill...and...and..." She looked up at Peter, who was rolling his eyes playfully.

"Girls talk too much." He smirked.

Wendy was about to counter the remark, but the raised eyebrow from Peter told her that he was waiting for her to prove him right. Wendy simple smiled and gestured for him to come into the nursery.

Peter shrugged of the window frame and started to casually float around the room looking at this or that. Wendy, unsure of what was supposed to happen next, sat on her bed and watched Peter. An unusual silence settled over the room. It wasn't uncomfortable; it was more the feeling of seeing a locked box. It was knowing there could be something exciting inside, but not knowing how to go about opening it.

Wendy picked at the fabric of her nightgown, trying to think of some polite conversation that wouldn't involve her talking too much. A few quiet minutes slipped past. She watched Peter as hovered over one of the toy chests, examining a wooden sword. Wendy's mind began to drift to her stories about Neverland, swordfights, and adventures and...That was it!

"Peter?"

Peter lifted his head in acknowledgement.

"Peter," Wendy repeated, adjusted her position on the bed. "What is Neverland like?"

The question caught Peter off guard. "What do you mean?" he asked putting down the sword.

"You see," Wendy continued. "I describe Neverland in many of my stories; but I've never actually been there. So...what is it really like Peter? What is it like to be there? What sort of things are in Neverland?"

Peter glided over to Wendy and sat on the edge of the bedpost. He scratched his head, thinking. He wasn't even sure where to begin. How did he describe something he lived with every day to someone who had never seen it?

"You could start by telling me what Neverland looks like," Wendy prompted kindly.

"Well... Neverland is an island..." Peter offered hesitantly. He glanced down at Wendy. He wasn't quite sure what she wanted to hear. Wendy leaned forward and gave him an encouraging smile. This let Peter know he was on the right track. So with a deep breath he slowly started to describe his Neverland.

"Well like I said, Neverland is an island. So it is surrounded by water, lots of water..."

"I bet the water is the most beautiful blue you have ever seen," Wendy interrupted.

Peter nodded his head in enthusiastically. "Ya! And it's so clear you can almost see the bottom of the ocean in some parts! There are... lots of tall mountains in the middle of the island. And they are covered in trees. In fact the whole island is green! There are also a lot of rivers and waterfalls. Some of the falls are over 100 feet tall!" Peter continues more confident.

"On the south part there is place where it looks like something took a bite out of the land! It created a big cove. That's what we call "Pirates Cove", where sits the notorious Jolly Roger and her Codfish Captain."

"Captain Hook!" Wendy interjected excitedly.

"Right!" Peter grinned. "On the western edge lies the Indian encampment. Their white tepees poke out through the trees. And you can almost always see the smoke spirals coming from their fires anywhere on the island.

Just off to the side of the island is Skull Rock. A massive rock that looks like, well...what it's called, a big skull. Many pirates and a few Indians have even met a watery end there. But on the Eastern side of the island is Mermaid Lagoon."

Wendy's sat up straighter and her eyes lit up. "Mermaids? There are really mermaids in Neverland? Oh how positively enchanting! I bet they are the spectacular."

"Sure there are mermaids!" Peter grinned. "Lots of them. They spend all their time in Mermaid Lagoon. It's covered in flowers and vines and lots of sunny rocks."

"Oh how wonderful!" Wendy said dreamily.

Peter glanced down to where Wendy was seated. Her clear blue eyes sparkled as she tried to imagine the splendors he was describing. Peter's stomach did a little flip. He was the reason for the smile and the amazement in Wendy's eyes. The brilliant storyteller was now held captive by his story!

Peter's heart soared and his ego grew exponentially. "Neverland is a magical place Wendy! It hardly ever rains, there are no rules, you have adventures every day, and the best part is you Never have to grow up! I'll take you there someday if you want Wendy."

Wendy jumped off the bed and began to twirl around the room. "Oh Peter would you? Neverland? I so desperately want to see it!"

Peter laughed, if she was this excited just by hearing about it, he couldn't wait to see her reaction when she finally saw Neverland. Wendy continued to twirl around the room talking about mermaids, and pirates, so many other things. She stopped abruptly when an obviously important question hit her mind.

Wendy slowly turned back to Peter. "Peter, Where is Neverland exactly?"

He didn't even hesitate, "Second star to the right and strait on till morning."

"But then Peter, how do you get to Neverland?"