In Need of Help

Hook had Wendy. Hook had been into his hideout and taken what was most treasured. Peter felt violated. Raw emotions ran across his face. His head was heavy and his heart hurt with an anxiety not known before. Peter looked down on at the ground; a large red blotch stained the floor and trickled towards the stairs. Someone had gotten hurt. A sharp pang lodged itself in Peter's stomach and a lump formed in his throat. Plunged into his nightmare, Peter's breathing shallowed.

Thoughts of Wendy helpless, alone, and hurt on Hook's ship alarmed him. His grip on the ribbon tightened as if it were a life line in a storm, keeping him afloat. No! Peter shouted in his mind. He would not let his nightmare get the better of him. He was Peter Pan! Peter Pan did not fear! He was strong and brave! Peter's fear turned into blinding rage. He was angry at Hook for barging into his territory. He was furious that Hook would dare take Wendy away from him. And Peter was livid at the thought that someone hurt Wendy.

Anger and adrenaline coursing through his veins he wanted to fly to Hook's ship and slice the pirate to ribbons and take his revenge. But he had to be careful; there was much more at stake than his own personal safety. He had Wendy to worry about. He wouldn't risk her life. So Peter would carefully plan and then attack. He would make Hook pay for what he had done. And he would save his Wendy.

A small tug on the bottom of his tunic pulled him out of his reverie. Peter looked down into the very large eyes of Michael Darling, who was on the verge of tears.

"Where's Mother?" Michael hiccupped.

Peter's rage softened as he looked at the little boy. Michael and Wendy had the same complexion and hair color. The resemblance made the lump in his throat hard to swallow. Peter crouched down so that he was face to face with the smallest Darling child and placed one hand on his shoulder.

"Mother is on Hook's ship."

There was an audible gasp from the rest of the boys as they crowded around Peter and Michael.

"Is Mother alright?"

"What's going to happen to her?"

"That mean old codfish!"

"What are you going to do?"

"I say we storm the ship right here and now and rescue Mother!"

Peter silenced the boys with a hand, while still looking at a very scared Michael.

"Don't worry, Mother is one of the bravest people I know. She will be safe. She does know how to use a sword remember? I taught her, and I'm sure she gave those filthy pirates a run for their money." Peter smiled.

Michael sniffed and snuggled his Teddy closer. "Are you going to rescue her?"

Peter nodded. This seemed to satisfy little Michael. John on the other hand wrung his top hat in his hands.

"Sir, she is my...our, sister. And even if she does act a bit pretentious at times. I, well will you really be able to rescue her?"

Peter's face became deadly serious and he rose to meet the older boy. "I swear on my life, John Darling that I will bring Wendy home safe and sound."

Peter turned to address the rest of the lost boys. "Gather your weapons; we're going to the Indian encampment."

"But why Peter? Why don't we just go down to the ship right now? Every second we wait is another second Mother's life is in danger." Nibs pointed out.

Peter had to physically swallow his pride when he answered. "I know. But we need to go because...we need help. And I trust that the Indians will help."

Nibs agreed and went to go fetch his weapons. Peter looked around, hands on hips. Worry gnawed at his insides, but he forced a brave face for his men. Then, gathering his sword and dagger, they headed out for the Indian Village. Their trek to the encampment was a slow one. Everyone was on the lookout for pirates. Once they reached the Village Peter immediately sought out Tiger Lilly. The Indian Princess was sharpening her dagger and humming quietly to herself.

"Tiger Lilly!" Peter waved.

The princess looked up from her task and smiled brightly, but then noticing the serious expression on Peter's face, her brow creased.

"What is troubling you Flying Eagle?"

"Where is your father, I need to speak with him. It's urgent!" Peter's head swiveled around looking for the great Chief.

Tiger Lilly's eyes grew concerned. "He just left on a hunting trip. What is the trouble? I may be able to help you."

Peter nodded, "It's Wendy. She's been kidnapped by Hook. I came looking for help."

At the mention of Wendy's Indian name Tiger Lilly soured. "And why should we help you? I already saved the girls life once. Wasn't that enough?"

Peter tried to ignore the tone in Tiger Lilly's voice. "Please Tiger Lilly. I just need a few braves just in case something goes wrong. I would go with just my men, but this time it's different."

Tiger Lilly pursed her lips. "Why is this rescue different from any other time?"

Peter threw up his hands in frustration. "Tiger Lilly! We don't have time!"

"Tell me why! Is she so important that you'd risk your own men as well as my fathers to save some pale faced little nobody?"

"Wendy is not a nobody! Don't ever call her that again!" Peter yelled and started pacing. "She means the world to me, Tiger Lilly! She is the most important person on this island! She is brave and strong and clever and witty. She is the kindest person I know as well as the prettiest!"

"She makes me feel things. Exciting things, terrifying things, new things! I want to shout it to the world and run from it at the same time. When she is near, my insides do flips and my heart beats like a war drum. And I don't know why but she fits right here." Peter put a clenched hand to his chest.

"And I never want to lose her. I play a lot of pretend. But being fearless is my biggest pretend. I do fear, I fear losing her. I fear never being able to see the sparkle in her eyes or hear her laugh at something clever I've done. I fear not being able to tell her that... that I... feel for her." Peter finished in awe holding on to his heart. Realization dawned; this feeling...it must be what the Chief was talking about. Peter Pan felt. And he felt for Wendy Darling.

Two hearts broke at Peter's realization. A small pixie and an Indian Princess. With a sigh Tiger Lilly glanced up at Peter, who was still in shock and floating a few feet off the ground.

"Alright Flying Eagle. We will help you save your Little Sparrow. But you know this will most likely be a trap, and you know what Hook will require in exchange for her freedom."

Peter sobered and sunk back to the ground. He nodded solemnly.

"And are you willing to pay it?"

Peter looked Tiger Lilly dead in the eyes. "If it comes to that point then yes. No price is too great."

"Very well. I will go round up a few of my father's most loyal braves. Then we will set a plan to rescue Little Sparrow."