Don't Leave

Time stilled. The world around Peter blurred. His heart stopped and he couldn't breathe. Peter didn't hear the cries of the lost boys, nor their renewed efforts in fighting the pirates, forcing them into surrender. He didn't notice Mr. Smee dragging Hook's body away. He didn't notice any of it and he didn't care. The only thing cared for was the girl lying crumpled in his arms.

"W...Wendy?" Peter's voice shook. "Wendy!"

Wendy's vision was hazy, but she turned towards the sound of her name. "Peter?" Her voice was weak. The pain was white hot and coursing through her system. She winced. All she wanted to do was close her eyes and make the horrible pain fade away.

Peter pulled his hand away, it was covered in blood. Her blood. Panic clawed at his throat constricting it. He didn't know what to do! He didn't know how to stop the precious life from slowly draining from his Wendy. Unhappy thoughts and nightmares threatened to finally overtake him. He was slowly suffocating in despair.

"Help." He choked out.

"HELP! Somebody HELP! Please!" Peter cried looking frantically around.

Tiger Lilly ran to Peter's side and knelt down. "Let me see her."

Peter was reluctant to let go of Wendy, fearing if he did so he would lose her forever. But Tiger Lilly was a healer, and she could help. He knew she could.

Tiger Lilly looked the poor girl over. Wendy cried out in pain when she assessed the wound. Tiger Lilly's heart sank. The wound was clean through, possibly treatable, but Wendy had lost too much blood already. There was no time to get her to the Indian Encampment where treatment could be provided. She was in no condition to be moved anyway. The best she could do was slow the flow of blood, to give Flying Eagle time to say goodbye. She ripped off a piece of her dress and pressed it into the wound.

"How bad...is it... Tiger Lilly?" Wendy asked with labored breathing.

Tiger Lilly looked up with heartbroken eyes. That was enough for Wendy to understand. But Peter just looked on with frightened eyes.

"I'm afraid I've done all I can do, Flying Eagle." Tiger Lilly stood and placed a hand on Peter's shoulder, then walked away.

"No...No...NO!" Peter cried and gathered Wendy into his chest. The tears starting to trickle down his face. He was losing her. He failed. He let his nightmare come to pass. He had thought the course of history could be changed when he decided not to fight against his feelings. But now they just tore him apart. There was a raw gaping hole in his chest; he pressed Wendy closer to him, trying to physically fill the void.

The lost boys sniffled as they watched their leader slowly rock their mother back and forth. Mumbling and stroking her hair. Michael was crying and clinging to John. John took off his glasses to wipe away his tears. There was nothing they could do but watch their beloved sister slowly fade away.

Wendy's own face was shiny; she was heartbroken at all she was leaving behind. With a sad smile, and the last of her strength, Wendy reached up and cupped Peter's face in her hand.

"Boy?...Why are you crying?" She whispered her breathing getting shallower.

Peter broke down, openly sobbing now. "Oh Wendy! My Wendy! I'm so sorry! I'm so sorry! I couldn't protect you. I couldn't save you like I promised." Placing his forehead to hers, their tears melding, he pleaded.

"Please don't leave me Wendy. Please don't go where I can't follow. Please! I...I need you...I love you."

Wendy's heart broke for the boy who taught her how to fly. And she gave him one last dazzling smile. "I...love you...too."

Wendy's smile faded as her body shuddered, and her eyes slowly closed. Peter looked down in horror.

"NO! NO WENDY! NO! Don't leave me! Don't go! PLEASE! Wendy!" Peter yelled as if he could command her life back into her still body.

The lost boys cried out for their mother, and even the pirates looked on in sympathy at the tragic scene.

Peter didn't know how long he sat there holding her. He didn't care. He would spend the rest of his life holding her there on that ship. But the warmth had left her, and that was too much to bare. A soft hand touched his shoulder making him jump.

"Come Flying Eagle. It is time to leave. The pirates have surrendered, and we need to...to take care of Little Sparrow." Tiger Lilly sighed.

"NO!" Peter's shout was animalistic. "I won't leave her! I won't!"

Tiger Lilly backed away and motioned for a few braves to gently take away Wendy's body. Peter snarled at them, and they backed away. Peter looked down at Wendy. She was still so beautiful and looked so peaceful. Like she was sleeping. His Sleeping Beauty.

With heavy heart, Peter leaned down and touched Wendy's forehead to his own. "This belongs to you, and always will."

Ever so gently, Peter's lips touched Wendy's.

Thimbles are powerful, and magical. Thimbles of true, pure, love have broken curses and changed the world. This thimble was no different.

Peter felt a strange tingling sensation on his lips, then he felt warmth and movement. Eyelashes fluttered against his. Startled Peter jumped back.

"Peter?"

...