Chapter 10: Kisses and Happy Thoughts

Peter gently glided Wendy through the nursery window and placed her on the floor. It took a second for Wendy to find her land legs. Once she was stabilized, she was dancing around the room. Her head and heart were pounding! There was fire running through her veins and she felt so alive! She couldn't stop smiling. There was so much happiness and energy inside, she was about to burst!

"Oh Peter! That was just glorious! Flying is so exhilarating! Riding the wind, dancing with the stars, just floating through the air! How I wish I could fly all the time! My heart was pounding every second and I couldn't have imagined it any better! I am just so incredibly happy I could just burst! I'm so happy I could..."

Wendy paused. How could she possible express these emotions she was feeling right now? A little thought sparkled at the corner of her mind. She quickly brushed it aside. But it only grew stronger, claiming all attention. Could she do that? She turned to look at Peter.

Peter was sitting quietly on the window seat smiling at Wendy. There was a mixture of mirth and mischief in his eyes. Eyes that met hers.

Wendy's heart began to thud more quickly, and the rushing in her ears got louder. She suddenly became a bit dizzy.

"Yes Wendy? You could what?" Peter prompted.

Wendy took a deep breath and tried to gain some control. "Peter I'm so happy tonight! This is the most wonderful night of my life."

Wendy glanced down at the floor and then shyly up at Peter. She clasped her hands protectively in front of her heart and took a deep breath. "I'm so happy, I could...I could give you...a kiss!"

Peter held out his hand expectantly. He didn't know what a kiss was. And he was not going to admit that. But it seemed to make Wendy very happy, so he waited for her to give it to him.

Wendy looked between the opened hand and Peter. Her confusion at his reaction was clearly written on her face.

"Peter, don't you know what a kiss is?"

"I shall know when you give one to me." Peter looked at her, waiting for his "Kiss."

Wendy's heart deflated and her shoulders slumped just the tiniest bit. "Oh."

He didn't know what a kiss was. She started to panic! How was she going to get out of this situation without looking foolish? Mind whirling, Wendy decided she would give something to Peter and call it a kiss. After all, she rationalized; he might not know the difference. It was such a silly idea anyway.

Peter cleared his throat impatiently. If she was going to give him this "Kiss" she'd better hurry! He was growing restless and Wendy still had that last part of flying to learn.

Cheeks flushed from embarrassment she looked around the nursery for help. "Well a kiss is...a kiss is...." There! On her dresser! She hurried over to her dresser and picked up her sewing thimble. She rolled the silver thimble between her fingers. Perfect! Wendy took a deep breath to calm her and to bury her slight disappointment. Then thimble in palm, she turned around and walked to Peter.

"Well a kiss is a very special thing. It is a gift, but a kiss is also magical. It will protect you from harm and bring you luck. And you give it so someone you lo..."

Wendy paused; her cheeks were now flaming pink. She hoped the darkness hid it. She cleared her throat and started again.

"You give it to someone who makes you incredibly happy. So Peter, for your efforts in making me so happy and for teaching me to fly, I bestow upon you a kiss," Wendy did a dramatic curtsy and placed the little silver thimble in Peter's palm.