Beach Break

The next morning Peter watched as his band of boys drug themselves out of bed. They all looked worn and exhausted. Nibs tried to rub the sleep out of his eyes. Cubby yawned, and John hadn't even bothered to put his glasses on yet. Peter shook his head in disgust. Where was his band of lively, mischievous, rabble-rousers? This was pathetic!

"Alright men, this is ridiculous! Why the long faces and sleepy eyes?" Peter demanded.

Nibs was the first one with his wits about him to answer. "All this training is exhausting! It's been AGES since we've had any real fun! We haven't been on one single adventure since the pow-wow. It's getting boring!"

Peter raised an eyebrow. "Is this how you all feel?"

The boys moaned in agreement. Wendy popped her head out of the kitchen at the sound. She looked at the lost boys. They did look a little ragged, they had lost their spunk. Wendy was worn out as well; she would love a bit of a rest! Suddenly an idea sprang into her head.

"Why don't we all go for a swim? The day promises to be a warm one and I could even make a picnic lunch!" She piped up cheerfully.

The lost boys looked hopefully at their leader.

"Please Peter!"

"Can we Peter?"

"It would be a great adventure!"

"I promise we'll train extra hard tomorrow!"

Peter looked into the eyes of his men and sighed. Swimming did sound like a good idea.

"Alright, Alright! We'll go swimming!"

There was a collective cheer in the hideout. Wendy sighed with relief, she could rest! But first she had to pack a lunch and gather a few blankets to sit on.

...

The walk to the beach was pleasant enough. The sun was warm but the trees provided adequate cover. The boys hardly able to contain their excitement ran ahead leaving Wendy to lug the blankets and picnic by herself. She wouldn't complain she enjoyed the time to think. Her time in Neverland had been wonderful and exciting. She'd been given a tribal name, been kidnaped by pirates and spent some wonderful moments with Peter.

Oh Peter...the thought of him made the butterflies stir in her stomach and her head feel light. She had never really liked a boy until she met Peter. He was handsome and deviously charming. He wasn't perfect, but it was his imperfections that endeared him to her. She couldn't help but smile when he smiled and laugh at his antics.

Her problems came when she wondered what his feelings for her were. There were times when she knew there must be something there. Like the other night when they had talked about thimbles. She could have sworn she saw something in his eyes that showed her how much he cared. Or when he had come into her room late at night, crying and whispering that he had 'lost her.' And what about the secret smiles, talking late into the night in front of the fire, or the small touches that made her skin tingle? That had to mean something, right?

But whenever Wendy would try to breach the subject of feelings Peter had turned cold and hard. He seemed to shy away from the very word. Did that mean he didn't feel for her? Wendy's cheeks colored when she thought about how she almost confessed that she loved Peter that night. Was that the reason he covered her mouth. So that she wouldn't say it, because he didn't feel it?

Wendy scrunched up her face. Emotions were so confusing and she wished they weren't! She sighed, she wished she could talk to her mother about Peter. She'd know exactly what to say. The thought of her mother saddened Wendy. The image of mother was fading from her mind, and that scared her just the tiniest bit. Wendy shook her head, enough sadness! It was a beautiful day, she was going to the beach to enjoy herself, not to dwell on her troubles.