The Pirate's Trade

The cabin was cold and dark, save a sliver of moonlight that flowed in through the window. Wendy slouched, her shoulders were sore from being pulled back against her will. The ropes that bound her, cutting into her circulation. Wendy's eyes closed trying to find some happy thought to keep her company. But it was so dreadfully hard. She hadn't thought long when the door to the cabin creaked open. A lantern was brought in, illuminating the faces of leering pirates.

"Having fun are we girlie?" Noodler growled as he jerked on Wendy's hair. She stared up at him with wide eyes.

"I told ye I was going to make ye pay for slicing me arm!" Noodler took out a dagger and placed the tip of it at the corner of Wendy's mouth. Wendy's heart started to beat rapidly.

"Now, now men you'll have your fun I promise. But for now I need the girl in one piece." Hook's voice stilled the pirate and the blade retracted.

"I'm sorry there isn't better accommodations m'lady." Hook mocked as he strode threw the door and towards the girl. "But I need to keep a close eye on you."

The pirates snickered. Bravely Wendy raised her chin. "He won't come. He'll know it's a trap."

Hook almost laughed. "That's what I'm hoping for! And besides my dear, dear Miss Darling, do you really think that Pan could stay away?" He caressed Wendy's cheek with his hook. Wendy remained silent. She turned her face away from the cold steel, but Hook forced it back. Hook stared into the girls blue eyes, mind turning.

"I think it's high time for a story! Don't you think so lads? After all we have a famed storyteller in our midst." Hook announced to the crew that were present. There was a low cheer of approval. Hook turned back to the girl.

"Now if you please, tell us the story of why Pan brought you to the island, because I can't quite figure that one out."

Wendy stared into the bloodshot eyes of the captain. She took a deep breath to still her nerves and began.

"Once upon a time there was a boy named Peter Pan, who decided not to grow up."

"Skip the prologue." Hook growled.

Wendy nodded. "So he flew away to Neverland where the pirates are."

"What fun he must have had." Hook said dryly.

"Yes but he was rather lonely."

Hook's brow raised in surprise. "Lonely? The great Pan lonely? How interesting...He needed a Wendy." Hook mused, the gears turning in his mind.

"I need a Wendy." One of the pirates said dreamily. Without hesitation Hook took his pistol and shot the interrupting pirate. The shot made Wendy jump.

"No more interruptions! Now why a Wendy?"

"He liked my stories."

"Yes but what stories?"

"Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Alad..." Wendy started to list.

"Love stories?" Hook whispered shocked.

"Adventures! In which good triumphs over evil!" Wendy countered.

Hook stared off into the distance. "They all end in a kiss...Lads!" Hook almost laughed. "I think the great Pan is in danger!"

The rest of the crew cheered.

Wendy was concerned and confused, "Why is Peter in danger?"

Hook's piercing gaze turned back to the girl.

"Tell me, what is one of Pan's greatest faults?"

"He has no faults."

This time Hook did laugh. It was a grating sound, deep within his throat. "Surely you cannot be so naïve as to believe that!" Hook released his hold on Wendy. "Until tonight I would have said that the one fault that will lead to his doom is loyalty. He would risk his own life to save that of one of his men. But in this case I think his greatest downfall will be love."