Little Sparrow

Wendy looked at the faces surrounding her. There were her two brothers, a few Natives, one Native girl that appeared to be about her same age, and six very peculiarly dressed boys. The boys faces were smudged in dirt, tanned from the sun, and all looking at her with awe.

"Hello." Wendy smiled and waved nervously. Michael was the first one to break away from the group.

"Oh Wendy you're alright!" He ran to hug his sister. Wendy winced as he ran right into her, forcing her to put weight on her bad leg. But she smiled and held her little brother.

"Yes Michael I'm alright."

Once the lost boys saw that it was safe to approach her, they ran to Wendy and began speaking at the same time.

"We're sorry we shot you..."

"We didn't know it was you..."

"We thought you were a bird..."

"A big ugly dangerous bird..."

"And Tink told us to shoot you down..."

Wendy looked at Peter questioningly "Tinkerbell?"

Peter's face turned hard, "Banished."

Before Wendy could ask anything else Nibs got down on his knees and begged "Please please please! Don't be mad at us! We didn't mean it!" Nibs motioned for the rest of the boys to follow suit.

"Forgive us Wendy Lady!" They pleaded.

Wendy looked down at each sun kissed face. "I forgive you, it was an accident. Let us put it in the past and move on."

The lost boys cheered and whooped! They were forgiven! All was well! The lost boys eagerly vied for Wendy's attention as they introduced themselves. Slightly was the oldest lost boy, and second in command to Peter. Cubby was a bit chubby, but had the biggest heart. The twins finished each other's sentences and were almost impossible to tell apart. Tootles was the littlest lost boy and reminded Wendy of Michael, he also didn't speak much. Unlike Nibs. Oh Nibs, he was the most theatrical lost boy, and let everyone know it too. Wendy grinned at Peter; she liked the lost boys very much!

Once the lost boys had introduced themselves Peter helped Wendy walk while he introduced her to some of the Natives. Wendy smiled graciously at each and did her best to be pleasant, but her leg was starting to throb and she was getting a bit dizzy. She leaned on Peter for support as they approached the girl her age.

Peter smiled brightly as he introduced the girl. "Wendy I'd like you to meet Princess Tiger Lilly, brave warrior, fierce huntress, and the one who healed you."

Wendy did a small curtsy. Tiger Lilly was beautiful, and fierce. Long dark hair framed dark eyes. Eyes that challenged and yearned for adventure. Wendy felt intimidated just by looking at her.

"How do you do?"

There was no response, just a cold glare. Wendy cleared her throat. "Thank you Tiger Lilly, I wouldn't be here if you hadn't helped me."

Tiger Lilly raised an eyebrow. "Your Welcome." Was her curt reply.

Wendy was about to say more when a booming voice parted Natives and lost boys.

"What is all this excitement about?" A towering feathered headdress accompanied the voice, as the Chief came into view.

"Wendy," Peter began. "I'd like to present Chief Running Bull, Chief this is Wendy. The story teller I was talking about."

Wendy looked at Chief Running Bull. He was a tall man, with broad shoulders that bore the weight of responsibility. His face was lined with age and wisdom. His hair was long and greying, adorned with beads and feathers. But the most striking thing about Chief Running Bull was his eyes. Though they had seen many hardships and battles, they held a twinkle of youth in them. That twinkle was shining brightly now.