Chapter 11: A Dangerous Pirate

Peter had to admit, he was impressed with how quickly Wendy had picked up flying. She was a natural! Of course she was not nearly as good as he was, but for a beginner he had to give her credit. Peter had almost caught up to her when Wendy stopped mid-flight. Puzzled he slowed down. Why on earth was she stopping? Peter watched Wendy's expression turn from one of pure joy to outright fear. Peter was about to call out to her when without warning Wendy began to fall.

For a moment all Peter could do was stare after her. Peter's body was frozen in place, his mind befuddled. Why wasn't Wendy flying? Nothing that just happened made any sense! The only connection Peter made was that Wendy looked like a falling star. A falling star....falling...Wendy was falling!

Shaking his head and leaping into action Peter raced after the girl. "Wendy!"

He dove down faster than a comet. Blood rushing in his ears and wind stinging his checks he sped on, but he was still out of reach. He needed to go faster, he needed a happy thought. But all of Peter's happy thoughts had vanished; the only thought left was that he had promised not to let Wendy fall. And here she was- falling.

Unhappy thoughts filled his head. He had failed to keep her safe. What was the one thing that he had promised her! Dread lodged itself into Peter's heart. He couldn't let this happen! But the thoughts weighed him down and could not be shaken. With no happy thoughts peter tumbled head over heels, spinning violently out of control.

Desperately Peter fought for a happy thought. His hand landed on his pouch. He opened it hoping for a miracle. Hand touching cool metal he remembered Wendy's kiss.

Wendy's kiss! A kiss that promised protection and good luck! He remembered how she looked when she gave it to him, a pink tint to her cheeks. How tingly it made Peter feel even though he didn't know what a kiss was. Sudden warmth rushed through Peter as he was able to cling to that happy memory. Regaining control he raced through the night air and underneath Wendy. With a great oomph! Peter caught her and slowed their decent to a complete stop.

Peter hovered midair to try and calm his racing heart. After a few deep breaths Peter looked down at Wendy. She was trembling in his arms. Her eyes still held the fear he saw before she fell. Hugging her just a little closer to him, he tried to calm her and reassure himself that things were alright now. After all he did just save her! A sinking feeling settled in the pit of Peter's stomach when he realized he was the one who hadn't kept his promise of not letting her fall.

Shaking away that unpleasant reminder, Peter tried to figure out why Wendy had fallen in the first place.

"Wendy?"

Wendy didn't answer. Still in a daze, she stared off into the distance. Peter tried again.

"Wendy?"

Blinking as if waking up from a dream, Wendy realized someone was calling her name. She looked up at Peter. His eyes were furrowed in concern and confusion.

"What happened Wendy?"

She tried to speak, it came out as barely a whisper. "Those eyes..."

"What eyes Wendy? What did you see?"

She shook her head and clung to Peter a little tighter.

Peter sighed. Maybe if she was back in her room she might open up.

Trying not to fly to fast, Peter carried Wendy back to the nursery. Once there he settled her down on the window seat. Peter hovered just a few inches overhead, looking down at her.