Chapter Twenty Four

Chaos. Chaos is what is happening outside. People are falling like flies, and those around are scared. Those who are healthy treat the sick like they're the enemy. They are pointing guns at the sick ones warning them to stay away.

Suddenly Finn comes in with Clarke in his arms, and Octavia walking in right behind them. I already understand that there is no cure to this. Some will survive, and some will not. "What do I have to do to stop you from coming in here?" Clarke asks Finn exhausted. She can barely keep her head up while he is carrying her.

"Get better." He replies as he look around for somewhere to put her down. Murphy stands up from the hammock he has been resting in. "Here, come on. She can take mine." Murphy says giving her a place to rest. I smile at the scene as he finally let people see some of his selfless side.

"What else did Lincoln tell you?" Finn asks Octavia once he has put down Clarke.

"The virus doesn't last long." She says stepping a few steps back, giving Clarke all the space she needs right now. "It's true. I feel better." Murphy replies listening in on their conversation.

Clarke says she won't drink until the others get some water to. "I'll do it." Octavia says giving Clarke some peace. Finn gives Clarke water so she will stay hydrated while Octavia walks away to give the other water as well

"I'll help you." Murphy says walking after Octavia to get water as well. After he has passed on his share of water he walks over to Finn to share his concern. "Look. At this rate, when the grounders get here, there won't be anyone left to fight back."

"That's the point." Octavia says while putting a cold cloth to someones forehead.

"Then we slow them down." Finn says as if it as simple as that. He rush out of the drop ship to go make a plan to keep us alive.

Suddenly I feel myself grow dizzy. I try to shake it off, but it doesn't work. "Mercy, are you okay?" Octavia asks me capturing both mine, and Murphy's attention. I only nod my head not having enough energy to talk. "Your eyes." Is all Octavia says. I lift my hands and feel underneath my eyes. When I move my hand back I see blood on the tip of my fingers.

Panic strikes trough me, and I fall to my knees not having enough energy to stand. Murphy rushes over to me, and lays me down on the floor. Now regretting that he gave up his hammock. "You'll be fine." He says once he sees how scared I am. "It doesn't last long."

"You don't understand, Murphy." Octavia says walking over to us. "Clarke said that people with weak immune systems are the ones that die from this. She was shot just yesterday. Her immune system can't fight off both." I don't hear Murphy's response, because within seconds I black out.

-

"Mercy?" I hear someone say. "Come on, wake up." Their voice was desperate, so I managed to open my eyes with much effort. I couldn't help but smile at the first thing I see. Murphy is leaning over me, my head resting in his lap. Once he sees my eyes are open he lets out a breath of relief.

He gives me some water making sure I am hydrated. He doesn't say anything, he just stares at me with worry in his eyes.

I sit up, and he immediately wraps his arms around me, brining me closer to his chest. I lift my hand, and rest my palm against his cheek. I caress his skin with my thumb letting him feel my touch. "I thought you were dead for a second." Murphy confesses, his voices cracking halfway.

"I wouldn't leave you like that." I admit, and I can feel him smile, the corner of his lips touching my hand. "Have you been sitting with me this entire time?" I ask noticing that there were only a few people here. I must have been blacked out for long.

"Yeah. Bellamy has come to check on you a few times, and Octavia, but I didn't leave your side. I wanted to be here when you woke up." He says looking deeply into my eyes. His ocean blue eyes are once that will forever be stuck in my memory.

"Thank you." I tell him leaning my head on his chest. "I won't let them throw you out again. I need you here." I confess to him. I feel him lean his head down and plant a kiss on top of my head.

"I don't think you can stop Bellamy, and a gun." He chuckles. I feel his chest vibrate as he does so, and I have to this day not felt a better feeling then that.

"You underestimate me, John." I smile up at him laughing along with him. Bellamy can try all he want, but I won't let him take Murphy away, not now.

"You're right." He says leaning his head against the metal wall behind him. "How did you get shot by an arrow?" He asks curiously.

"We were trying to make peace with the grounders, but they had armed people in the trees. They aimed for Lincoln, but I jumped in front of it so he wouldn't get hurt." I admit now feeling like it doesn't sound like the best idea.

"Why?" He looks at me completely at lost with why I would help a random person like that.

"Because I can see that Octavia loves him. If something happened to the boy I loved I would loose my mind." He only nods understanding that I wanted to help in any way that I could.

"I get it." He says before leaning his head back against the wall. I can hear his heart beating trough his chest in a normal tempo. He is relaxed, and so am I. Somehow when he is around I feel like nothing can hurt me. I feel safe, and that is why I need him here.