Chapter Four

It has been a long while since the group left, and they are still not back. The people in camp has been pretty calm, except for the few that just keeps running around. 'Find a weapon.' The voice suddenly speaks up making me jump in surprise. 'We could kill them all, and no one would know'. "Shut up," I tell them in a whisper, and to my surprise, they actually stop.

"Find any water yet?" Murphy's voice grasps my attention with ease. I stand up from my spot and walk over to Wells standing with Murphy, and the group of boys constantly following him around.

"No, not yet." Wells replies normally. "but I'm going back out if you want to come." His eyes fall on the message scraped into the side of the dropship. 'First son first to dye,' Wells just glares at them not saying a word.

Murphy moves his hand up to his nose, brushing against the tip of it. The knife tightly in his grasp. "You know, my father, he begged for mercy in the airlock chamber when your father floated him."

Wells walks over to Murphy and bumps his shoulder into his as he passes by. I walk over to Murphy's side and lean in towards his ear. "If you are going to threaten someone at least spell it right. When you have bad grammar it all just seems less scary." I tell him. He rolls his eyes at my comment but knows I was just teasing him.

"If you're gonna kill someone, it's probably best not to announce it," Bellamy says walking up behind us.

Murphy chuckles at his little comment. "You're not really a member of the guard, are you?"

"No," Bellamy answers strictly. "The real guards will be here soon unless we stop it." He says, and I know he is trying to persuade us. "You don't actually think they're gonna forgive your crimes." I know they won't, but it is not our crimes he is concerned about, it's his. "Even if they do, then what? Guys like us, we're gonna become model citizens now? Get jobs? If we're lucky, maybe pick up their trash?" He did something to get on the dropship to help his sister, and it is not good.

"You got a point?" One of Murphy's minions asks.

"No. I got a question." He searches our eyes to see if he has talked us over to help him, and maybe he has them wrapped around his finger, but not me. "They locked you up, dumped you down here like lab rats to die. So why are you helping them?" He has a good point, but he is saying them for all the wrong reasons.

"The hell we are." The same minion protests.

"You're wearing those bracelets, aren't you? Right now, those things are telling them whether or not it's safe to follow us down," Bellamy says trying to get out his point. It is not hard to understand that he got the same idea as me when Clarke mentioned what the wristbands do. He wants everyone to take them off so the ark thinks we're dead.

"Ok," Murphy says finally taking his eyes up from the ground. "You said we could stop it. How?" I am surprised how easy it was for Bellamy to convince Murphy, but I don't really know him well enough to judge.

"Take them off." He says letting them know that it is as simple as that. "The Ark will think you're dead, that it's not safe to follow." He explains. "You follow?" He asks making sure they are on the same page.

"Right." Murphy smiles. "And if we do, I mean, what's in it for us?" Of course, he won't do anything without getting something in return.

"Someone has got to help me run things," Bellamy says smiling, and I know that sold Murphy. Even though I have only known him for a few hours it doesn't take long to figure out that he indeed loves power.

Murphy nods and walks away with his minions leaving me with Bellamy. "What did you do?" I ask not caring if he thinks it's rude. He doesn't answer. Not because he thinks I will tell anyone, but I think he is scared of being judged. "From the way you looked when I told you my name I assume you know what I did, so if you think I am one to judge you, you are wrong."