Chapter Forty Seven

It feels as if more and more sand is filling my shoes as we walk further into the dessert. It has been days since we left the dropship. My lips are as dry as ever. We do have water with us, but it's just enough to survive. "Sir, do you recognize anything?" Caspian asks.

"Their tent was near here," Jaha replies pointing to the right. "I'm sure of it." Jaha begins to walk down the giant sand wave we are standing on. 

Murphy, and I walk to Caspian, and the other boy who is still stuck in place. "What's the matter?" Murphy asks. "You guys got someplace better to be?" Murphy looks back at them while we walk past. When we walk down the sand wave I almost slip several times.

We walk over to Jaha who is standing still, and looking over at a cart. "You see anyone?" I ask him knowing that there has to be someone who owns it. I don't get an answer, so I walk forward with the rest following behind me. 

Once we are very close to the cart a girl jumps out. She says something in a different language while she pulls out a knife looking thing with her right hand. "We mean you no harm," Jaha says. "Do you speak English?" She nods before asking, "what do you want?" Her voice is filled with fright. "Nothing," he replies calmly. "It looks like you could use a hand. What are you doing out here alone?"

The girl puts her knife away, and removes the piece of clothing covering her mouth. "My brother and I were on our way to the City of Light, and wastelanders attacked. They took our horse, all our water, everything. They killed him. This cart is all I have left." She looks like she is about to cry, but while she speaks the only thing I can focus on is the tattoo across her face.

"Give her some water," Jaha orders. Murphy is on his way to take out his flask from his backpack when Caspian stops him saying, "whoa, no, no, no. We barely have enough for ourselves here." Murphy only leans closer to him with a glare. "Touch me again, and I'll end you." He starts to walk over to the girl until he notice Jaha's disappointed look. "In a noncriminal way," he says turning back towards Caspian. I have to hold back a laugh, but I am not very successful. When he reaches her he holds out his water, but she doesn't take it at first. "It's okay," he reassures her. She takes the water slowly, and immediately begins to drink.

"We're on our way to the City of Light, as well," Jaha says once she is done drinking what is left in Murphy's bottle. "What's your name?"

"Emori," she says looking at Murphy, and once I notice the way he is looking back at her I walk up beside him. Emori looks away. "Everyone in the dead zone is looking for the City of Light. Almost no one finds it. I can get you there." Murphy, and I look over at Jaha a little uncertain. "If you pull my cart."

"Done," he says as if it's as simple as that. "Caspian, you're on the first shift." Everyone begins to move around to do whatever it is they are going to do.

"Thanks for the water," Emori says handing Murphy back the flask he so kindly lend to her.

"It's, uh it was no problem," he stutters as he puts the flask back into his backpack. I can't help but feel a little jealous from the way he is getting all shy around her.

-

Almost the whole way so far Murphy, and Emori has walked behind us talking about whatever. Jaha must have noticed, because during that time he came over, and asked if I was okay, to which I replied that I have never been better. After a while Murphy, and Emori joined to help us push her cart. 

Suddenly a man on a horse appears before us. He has a gun which he is now pointing straight at us. "Chancellor, look out!" Someone screams as he steps forward, but he just shouts out, "Hold your fire!"

Murphy takes a few steps forward, but Emori jumps up behind him, and presses her blade against his throat. "John!" I scream as she drags him further away from us. He is facing us when they stop a few meters away. "Everybody put your weapons and supplies in the cart, and nobody gets hurt," Emori says.