Chapter Six

"We were attacked." Clarke is stressed that is very clear. She looks over at Wells scared. 

"Attacked? By what?" Wells asks looking from Finn to Clarke.

"Not what." Finn starts saying. "Who. It turns out, when the last man from the ground died on the Ark, he wasn't the last grounder." He also looks scared, but it's more visible on Clarke. I guess I also would have been if I encountered these grounders.

"It's true," Clarke confirms. "Everything we thought we knew about the ground is wrong. There are people here, survivors. The good news is, that means we can survive. Radiation won't kill us." Everyone starts gathering around ready to listen to what Clarke has to say.

"Yeah, the bad news is the grounders will," Finn says sending shivers down all our spines. "We thought we were alone, but we were so wrong. Radiation isn't our main problem anymore."

"Where is Jasper?" I ask seeing as no one else did. Monty looks away clearly not ready to talk about this. I don't know them well, but I remember spending a lot of time with them when I was younger.

"Jasper was hit. They took him." Clarke says looking at me. However, once her eyes move to Wells' wrist she gets angry. "Where is your wristband?" She grabs a hold of his wrist examining it.

"Ask him," Wells replies gesturing towards Bellamy. He shifts uncomfortably in his position not liking the bad attention turned towards him. Octavia looks at him shocked and so do I. I hadn't noticed it was missing, but it didn't surprise me all that much.

"How many?" Clarke asks stepping closer to Bellamy.

Instead of Bellamy, Murphy answers. "Twenty Four, and counting." Her head whips towards him. He is smiling proudly, but he shouldn't.

"You idiots." She whispers, but it is loud enough for us close to hear. "Life support on the Ark is failing. That's why they brought us down here. They need to know the ground is survivable again, and we need their help against whoever is out there. If you take off your wristbands, you're not just killing them. You're killing us!" Everyone looks around them uncomfortable. Many regretting their decision to have taken of their wristband.

Bellamy realizes that Clarke has sparked something in them, but he needs them on his team, so he decides to put her in a bad light. "We're stronger than you think!" He yells catching peoples attention. "Don't listen to her. She's one of the privileged. If they come down, she'll have it good. How many of you can say the same? We can take care of ourselves. That wristband on your arm? It makes you a prisoner. We are not prisoners anymore! They say they'll forgive your crimes. I say you're not criminals! You're fighters, survivors! The grounders should worry about us!" Everyone cheers agreeing with him. He is right. They will never forgive our crimes, and I will do my best to make sure the people don't come down, but some of these people have loved once there, and those I will help get down.

I start to walk away, and Clarke follows along with Monty. "What do we do now?" He asks, and surprisingly it wasn't only directed towards Clarke.

"We go after Jasper," I reassure him, and Clarke nods in agreement.

-

I am currently inspecting Octavia's bleeding thigh because she wouldn't let Bellamy. He would ask too many questions she said. However not letting him help her didn't stop him from asking questions. "What the hell was it?"

"I don't know," Octavia answers not wanting to talk about it.

"Monty told me it looked like a giant snake," I inform Bellamy seeing his need to know what would hurt his little sister. I went to talk to Monty after saying we were going after Jasper. He told me he remembered me, but he asked how I got arrested which means he doesn't know what happened, and I think it is best that way.

"You could have been killed." Bellamy glares at her.

"She would have been if Jasper didn't jump in to pull her out," Clarke says appearing behind us along with Wells which always seem to be by her side.

"You guys leaving? I'm coming, too." Octavia says getting up, but Bellamy holds her down. "No, no. No way. Not again."

Clarke looks at Octavia without care. "He's right. Your leg's just gonna slow us down." She takes a breath before saying her next words. "I'm here for you two." She says to Bellamy and me.

"Clarke, what are you doing?" Wells asks standing behind her confused.

"I hear you have a gun." She says to Bellamy. He lifts his shirt a little showing of the gun in his belt. "And I have heard about you, so we need your ruthlessness out there." I know most people think I am heartless for killing my parents because no one ever told them that I had voices in my head telling me to do it. The Chancellor wanted to keep it a secret because they were afraid people would think it was contagious and freak out. I only nod resisting the urge to punch her. "Good. Follow me." She says and starts to walk.

However when she notice we aren't following she stops. "Why would we do that?" Bellamy asks.

"Because you want them to follow you, and right now, they're thinking only one of us is scared." She tells him before turning towards me. "And I assume you want to help Jasper."

"Hey, I was going to follow you, but asking nicely has never hurt anyone," I tell her before pushing past her and starting to walk towards the woods.

"Murphy!" I hear Bellamy shout making me stop, and turn around. "Come with me." Murphy walks up to stand beside him. Bellamy points at Atom and says strictly. "Atom? My sister doesn't leave this camp. Is that clear?" Atom nods clearly scared of Bellamy. "I don't need a babysitter." Octavia protests. After that, I ignore them and start walking behind Clarke and Wells.

"Those guys aren't just bullies, Clarke. They're dangerous criminals." He reminds her, making sure she is completely happy with the choice of taking us with them. 

"I'm counting on it." She replies, and start picking up the pace.

Murphy and Bellamy soon catch up to me, both giving me a greeting smile. "Since when are we in the rescuing business, huh?" Murphy asks sarcastically making me try to hold back a smile. 

"The Ark thinks the prince is dead. Once they think the princess is, too, they'll never come down." Bellamy informs us. Even from here his eyes are focused on Clarke's wrist.

"Ever considered actually telling the Chancellor who ordered you to do the thing you did?" I don't know if he has told Murphy that he shot the Chancellor, but if he hasn't I don't want to be the one that spills the secret.

He shakes his head as if saying no one would believe him. "I'm getting that wristband, even if I have to cut off her hand to do it." Well, this is going to be a fun trip.