In the End

The battle rages on as I take it all in. This is war. Death used to not faze me but this feels so wrong. A guilty feeling inside me crawls into my throat, making feel nauseous. All of the prepping for war could never equate this. Screams of ninja haunt my ears as blood covers the ground. Resurrected ninja and living ninja clash. A battle between the past and present to see who is the future. Funny right? I remember when I thought I had seen my share of death when I was younger. That is nothing compared to this. My shoulders sink as I start comprehending what is happening.

I feel blood splatter my face and my eyes widen. I look down to see a ninja at my feet drenched in blood. My heart races as the weight of battle settles in. I could die here. I become paranoid and dodge fights like no tomorrow. The fights I did end up in, I end them quickly. Refusing to look the ninja in the face.

Before I could engage in a battle I promise Naruto, "I promise that I'll be there to see you become Hokage!" I shout over the battle cries and clashing of metal. He embraces me and kisses me before going after the reincarnated ninja. "You better!" he shouts as he races off into battle. I turn back to a pursuing reincarnate Second Hokage. We clash blades and parry with each other. He was quickly gaining ground and I panic, "You're the kid I fought against when I was being controlled before right?" he asks as he sword slashes at me, cutting my face. I wince as blood drips down my face, stinging the wounds. "Correct," I mutter. I try my best to stay up with him. "I'm sorry," he grimaces. "It's not your fault," I pause for a moment and he plunges his sword into my side.

I sputter and cough out blood. I hunch over in pain. I let my guard down for a second and this is what happens. I get back up and fight more. I feel myself grow tired as I launch myself at him. I hear a scream that startles me. The strangled cry fills my ear giving me a sense of dread hit me. It sounds a little too much like Naruto's for my liking. I whip around to the source of the scream and see Naruto pinned to the ground by a ninja. My muscles act on their own as I see my world knee deep in his grave. I panic and run as fast as my legs could work to throw the ninja off of him. He looks at me surprised. "Wha-" I cut him off. "There isn't much time!" I yell as I pump a large amount of chakra into his system to give him a boost.

I dash away before he can say anything. I run back into battle as I feel my legs giving out. My vision fades in and out as I try to keep battling the second hokage. "Kid, you need to take a break! You're gonna die at this rate," he warns. I shake my head. Adrenaline and fear clouds my judgement as I continue. I feel my eyes start to close as my chakra runs out.

Third POV

The Second hokage, being controlled, picks up the weakened girl by her head. He grits his teeth as he tries resisting the control. He didn't want to do this. This is one of the last people he wanted to kill. He watched Naruto kiss her lovingly and watched her make a promise. He watched her pump chakra into him in a final attempt to help him. He saw her determination. But that didn't matter. Why would it anyway? If he could cry, he would be sobbing. He didn't want to do this. He hated himself so much. He knew of the people who love her so much. But what can they do?

He slams the girl's head into the ground with skull crushing force. Her body falls limp on the ground as he is forced to search for another opponent. The girl fades in and out of consciousness as she lays face up in the ground. She thinks of all the people who trust her to stay alive. She reminds herself about the promise she made to Naruto. Oh God Naruto. What will be do? Tears start streaming down her face as she realized something, after all the year of wanting to never exist,

she didn't want to die.

She sobs and blood spills out more. No one could hear her. Blood drips out of her mouth and her ears ring. If she could scream she would. There was nothing like the feeling of impending doom.

Time skip

Naruto wearily looks through the bodies for people he knew. The amount of bodies present causes him to grieve. He remembered something. Something very important. He hadn't seen Hono.

He scans the bodies, hoping, praying she wasn't there. Tears run down his face streaking the grime. He sees a particularly large hole in the ground and goes to investigate. To his dismay, Hono lies there, eyes closed. Fear and panic rises in his chest as he grabs her. He runs to the medical tent in hysterics. "SOMEBODY HELP!" he screeches between short breaths. Sakura saw his face and started to grow concerned. She looks at the person in his arms and her heart drops.

She performs CPR emergency medical ninjutsu and everything she could. She wouldn't wake up. "Does she have a pulse?" Naruto asks between sobs. She checks her pulse. There is one. She nods her head tears streaming down her face. He hold Hono in his arms and cries. But she is in a coma.

Time Skip

She hasn't woken up in 3 months and Sakura and Tsunade are getting concerned about her and Naruto. Naruto stays by her bedside unless he is out fighting. They both try to reason with him but he ignores them.

Another few months past, flowers crowd her room as her comrades visit her. Kakashi can't look at Naruto without think of Hono making him seclude himself after the war. Sasuke had returned and he visited her. He felt awful about the times he tore her down. But she was aware, she couldn't move, speak or see but she could here. No one knew though.

Many try to talk to Naruto about her being on life support but he refused to pull the plug. He couldn't bare to watch the life fade away from her body. He wouldn't be able to live knowing he did that. Suffering or not, Hono was with him.

Years past and Naruto enters her room again. This time with Sasuke and Sakura with him. He was wearing his Hokage robes. "Hono, I'm hokage now," he whispered as tears fall down the three of their faces. Hono promised and when she promises something she goes through with it. With all of her effort she opens her eyes. She couldn't move but her eyes were open. Shinobi pour into her room at the alert of Naruto. She smiles weakly and a single tear falls down her cheek. "I love y-," her fragile voice is interrupted by a harsh beep. A flat line shows on her heart monitor. Sakura rushes to the machine and reads it. In tears she pound the machine to pieces. "Why isn't it working?" she whispers. Tears fall from everyone in the room. Naruto was still, staring at her body. He watched the light leave her eyes and the life drain from her. Silent tear fall. "She made sure to keep her promise," he says. He grits his teeth as he collapses by her bedside. "I LOVE YOU TOO DAMMIT!" he pounds his fist on the hospital bed.

A funeral was held for her. Sasuke forced Naruto, Sakura and Kakashi to go even though they could barely walk from grief. They all go out that night and drink until the black out. They all cried until tear couldn't form anymore. Hono watches from above in sadness. She sits next to Neji and Itachi as she watches over the hungover group. "Why are you mourning for me? Don't be sad about the loss of my life! Celebrate the life I did have with you all! Go out and party in my name! Don't be sad, life is already sad as it is," she whispers in there ears from the beyond.  They all look at each other and nod.

They all go out and partied for her. They laughed with each other and talked about their memories with her.