twenty nine

"F**k," Stephen cussed as he rummaged his hands through his grey hair. "Who called the damn police?!" He demanded to know, but none of us could give him an answer, or so I thought.

"I did," we heard Xavier mutter. My eyes widened and I turned my head to him. All of us did. "What?" Stephen's voice held a hard edge. He stormed towards his son and pulled him by his shirt collar. "Did you just stab me in the back?" He spat with fury.

"Dad, its time to stop. This...its not right," Xavier said quietly, his head down. "You're a useless son, why the hell were you born?" Stephen eyed his son with disgust, and brought up his clenched fist. He was about to punch Xavier again when I interrupted.

"I don't see how you're being a worthy father," I spat as I looked at Stephen defiantly. I didn't know what had come over me, but I felt the urge to speak up for Xavier. He might have been his father's accomplice, but I can't find it in me to put all the blame on him.

All eyes were on me this time. I could see Xavier's confusion and he frowned when Stephen released him and walked over to me. "What did you say?" Stephen was red in the face. "Shouldn't you try to escape? Instead of running around here like an angry bull?" I frowned at him and I saw him clench his teeth.

"You don't get to tell me what to do bitch!" He barked and was about to slap me when Xavier stopped him by grabbing his arm. Surprise flashed across Stephen's eyes for a split second before he resumed his previous incensed expression.

I could tell that Stephen was not used to his son's insubordination. "You­–" Stephen was about to say something when the door opened with a bang.

"Put your hands up!" The police officers commanded as they scuttled into the room with guns in their hands. I let out a sigh of relief and turned to see a look of defeat on Stephen's face as he raised his hands in surrender.

Xavier hung his head as he surrendered to the police too.

While two policemen handcuffed and brought Xavier and his father away, the rest came to help Ethan and I. I saw a look of relief on Ethan's face as he was carried out in a stretcher and it was then that I let myself lose consciousness.

*

My heavy eyelids fluttered open and I shut them again due to the blinding light. "You're awake," I heard my mom's voice and tried to open my eyelids again. I felt drowsy and wanted to fall back into another sleep but I stopped myself. "Where am I?" I asked, my voice weak. "You're in the hospital," my father came to stand beside my mother. Hospital? I looked around and saw a painting hanging on the wall as well as a vase of flowers on the table beside me. I am indeed in the hospital.

"What happened?" I asked, my memories still foggy. "Did you forget? You were kidnapped, Ethan too, and you were unconscious for an entire day," my mom told me, her brows knitted. "Oh...right, how is Ethan?" I asked, anxious, when I recalled that he suffered pretty severe injuries. "He's in the room next to yours, he's still unconscious but he's out of danger," dad told me.

I was about to lift myself out of bed when both my parents stopped me. "Why don't you visit him when you're feeling better? You're still very weak," they tried to persuade me but I placed my hands on both theirs, "mom, dad, I'm fine now. Please let me visit Ethan. After all, he suffered the beating because of me," I tried to plead with my eyes.

My parents frowned, but relented. "Okay, but tell us if you ever feel unwell, alright?" My parents made me promise them before they let me go. "Okay," I agreed before walking to Ethan's room with the help of a walking aid.

I knocked a few times on Ethan's door before Mr Ford opened it for me. "Xael?" He was surprised to see me. "Why are you here? You should be resting," he asked concernedly. "I'm fine now," I told him with a small smile before asking about Ethan's condition.

"He's still unconscious, but come in," Mr Ford told me as he helped me onto the chair beside Ethan. "Mrs Ford, are you okay?" I asked, concerned, when I saw Mrs Ford's tired face. "Yes, thank you for worrying," she gave me a small smile before leaving the room with Mr Ford to give me some time alone with Ethan.

I looked at Ethan's peaceful face and cupped one of his hands in mine. It pained me to see a few cuts on it. As I stared at him, I felt tears filling up my eyes.

It had just been a few days, but it felt like Ethan and I had went through so much together. Just a month ago, I could never have imagined experiencing such a thing and that what I just went through would make me realise how much I can love someone.

"I love you," I muttered aloud as I drew a heart on Ethan's palm. I won't deny that I hoped for a reply but the room was silent except for the beeping sound of the heart monitor. Please just wake up soon, Ethan, I prayed silently in my heart.