Prologue

*Liam's POV*

2010, X Factor Stage.

Everyone around me murmurs in hushed voices, not sounding panicked, but also not hopeful. I am standing in a large group of people, backstage. Ready to hear whether I am going home or not. For the second time. I feel my nerves build up even more when I hear names being called.

"Can the following people please make their way to the stage," someone says. I close my eyes and breathe.

"Zayn Malik." Zayn breaks from the crowd and walks to the stage entrance. In his eyes, I see he is worried. We have talked a couple of times, he seems like a nice guy.

"Harry Styles." At his voice, he puts his head in his hands.

"Liam Payne." My heart stops when my name is called. My leg shakes as I start walking toward the stage. I start preparing myself to hear the words again. When the judges send me home.

I hear more names called. Louis Tomlinson and Niall Horan. I know Niall, he's the Irish one, and Louis and I have talked often on. 4 more names are called, all girls.

I keep walking, trying to breathe. I stop when I get to center stage, with Zayn on one side of me and Harry on the other. All 5 of us put our arms around each other and stand close.

The judges in front of us start talking. I can't really hear them over the sound of my heart pounding. I can't be sent home again. I want this so bad.

Beside me, Zayn is swaying back and forth his eyes closed. He might be whispering to himself. On impulse, I rub his back, trying to comfort him. He lets out a breath and keeps looking forward.

"We've decided to put you in two groups, and you will move on to the next round." I hear Simon Cowell say. The girls beside us start screaming and jumping into each others arms.

It's not the end, I'm not going home. All the boys start jumping up and down with joy and excitement. Still processing, I just put my hand on Louis' shoulder. My new band mates.

The judges start talking again, but I'm too excited to hear them. I look at all people around me. Harry, Louis, Niall, Zayn. I look at Zayn. He is smiling, but the smile doesn't quite reach his eyes. Like he is not completely happy. My smile falters a bit, but I regain it. I'm sure he is happy. Of course he would be. I think he wanted this as much as I did. I put my arm around him again, and look at the judges.

Whatever worry I had quickly goes away when I think about whats coming next. This could be it, my chance. Finally, I could be famous.

But the look in Zayn's eyes never leaves my mind.