Chapter 3

Los Angeles, CA. 2:34 PM 09/21/16

"Dinner was good. You'll be seeing the pictures in the press soon enough," I tell Zayn, who is on the other end of the phone.

"And how is Cheryl?" He asks.

"She's good. I think she's happy."

"What about you, Liam?" He asks in a tone suggesting he already knows the answer.

"You know I'm not good unles-"

"Unless I'm there. Is that what you were gonna say?" he interrupts.

I feel myself blush. "Yes."

He sighs. "You can't live like that, mate."

"I know. But you know that I need you."

"And I need you."

Just then, Cheryl walks out of the restaurant, ready to go. "Liam!" She waves to me, calling me over to the car.

"I have to go. Talk to you later," I say rushed, and then I hang up. I jog over to the car and get in beside Cheryl. "Can you drop me off at the studio, please?" I say to the driver.

"For sure," He says back as the car starts moving.

"At the studio again, love?"

"We really want to get the first single released." I say, quickly.

"Ah. When will you be back to the hotel then?"

"Probably late."

"Don't be too late, though. I was hoping we would both be in tonight." She bites her lip, and I smile.

"I will try." Not that hard.

"OK."

The car pulls up in front of Capitol Records, and I hop out. I quickly kiss Cheryl before shutting the door. She waves, and I wave back, as I walk up to the large double doors that are the entrance. Before I go in, I dial Zayn's number.

The phone rings a couple times before he answers. "Your back," he says.

"Sorry about that, Cheryl was coming."

"She doesn't know we're talking?" He asks, surprised.

"The world doesn't know we're talking. Does Gigi know?"

"No," he laughs. "So you haven't even told the rest of the boys?"

"No... Not yet. But there is a lot of things they don't - or didn't- know."

"I understand. I really do miss you, mate. I miss all of it."

When he says that, I know he doesn't mean One Direction. He means all of me.

"I miss you too. So how is Gigi anyway?"

"She's great. I really do love her you know."

"Just not in the way she wants," I finish.

"Exactly. And I hate lying to her. Because she is such a wonderful girl. You know?"

"I do. You could always brea-"

"Break up with her? But when the questions get asked about why... I have no more creative answers. And I can't just say 'Oh, I'm still in love with my former band mate, Liam.'"

I smile when he says that. "I was wondering."

"If I was still in love with you? Liam, I don't think I could ever..."