Chapter 5

Los Angeles, CA. 8:53 PM. 09/22/16

*Liam's POV*

I leave the airport after Cheryl gets on the plane. The car is waiting outside for me. I hop in, and tell the driver to bring me back to the hotel. He silently nods his head and starts driving. I close the window that divides the back of the limo from the driver, and turn the radio on.

Change My Mind is playing. I turn the radio down a bit. I don't normally listen to our first two albums. I can't really tell you why, I just don't. Though I turned it down, I can't stop listening.

Lean in, when you laugh

We take photographs

I smile, and turn it back up.

******

~(flashback)~

New York, 2012.

I was in my own hotel room, the last night in New York on the Up All Night tour. Tomorrow, we were getting up bright and early to get to our next destination. I can't believe our first tour is almost over.

We had all decided to sleep in our own rooms tonight, in the hopes we would actually get some sleep. I get into the comfy bed, and pull the covers over myself. I close my eyes, but someone comes in my door.

I roll over and see Zayn standing there.

"I can't sleep," he says smiling.

"Why not?"

"I keep thinking about you."

I swallow. On this tour, Zayn and I have had a lot of... moments, I guess you could say. Small things would happen between us. I've noticed it too. The only thing is.. I'm not gay. At least I don't think I am.

"Why are you... thinking about me?"

"I wanted to write a song. For our next album. I can only think about you, though. I need your help."

"Why are you writing a song?"

He laughs. "I want to make more of mark on our next album."

I nod my head. "Well, if you want to stay here. That's good- I mean OK." I blush.

He looks at me with wide eyes. "Liam... You're a genius." He runs out of the room and comes running back in with his notebook.

"What did I do?" I laugh.

He scribbles some words down in his book, then shows them to me.

Baby if you say you want me to stay is all it says.

I start to think of something catchy to add to it.

"Hmmm," I say, making exaggerated thinking noises. He laughs, and I can't stop looking at him. He is... beautiful. I get an idea. I grab the notebook and pencil from him.

I'll change my mind I write. Zayn looks at me, and his smile fades.

He moves a little closer, and leans in. I lean in too. "Do you, uh- wanna help me finish the song," he asks, quickly turning his head away.

"Yeah," I say quietly.

_

The next morning, I wake up with my head on Zayn's chest. He is still sleeping. I quickly get up. Papers are scattered around us with random words and ideas scribbled on them. I smile, thinking about last night. I grab the paper on the night stand, and read it over.

The title at the top is Change My Mind.

*******

Los Angeles, CA. 9:10 PM. 09/22/16

Trying to remember the exact time you knew you had fallen in love should be hard. It is normally an indefinite moment, mixed in with a whirlwind of other moments.

It's not hard for me, though, to know that was the exact moment I knew I loved Zayn Malik.

The morning after we wrote the song, we brought it to our producers. We told them that we wrote the lyrics, and they could put music too it and change it however they wanted too.

We also decided to tell them not to put our names on it. They were skeptical, but eventually they gave in. We both made our mark on the album, except no one but us knows it. It was that moment when we silently began hiding a forbidden relationship.