5- The Girl Studies

Lana

Monday mornings suck and I'm sure that everybody can agree on this. For me, they suck because I have morning classes, I have math class, but on the bright side, I also have one of my film classes. It's my early class though so I just roll out of bed, put on a pair of sweats and a pink shirt that doesn't match the sweats. It's ironic though because the shirt says "look forward" which is a lot of ambition for a girl wearing sweatpants with her hair tied into a messy knot.

I was even too tired this morning to put in my contacts so I'm wearing my black rimmed glasses today. On my way to class, I stop by the Starbucks on campus to wake myself up with some coffee which almost makes me late but just as the professor is starting the lecture, I slip into the lecture hall and find my seat.

"The first thing we have to do today is introduce a new project," Dr

"The first thing we have to do today is introduce a new project," Dr. Biel tells us after his introduction and that makes me smile because I absolutely love doing projects in my film class. I just absolutely love making films, mostly of the short variety. "We won't spend time on it in class, I just want to explain it to you so that you know what you're doing on your own time. If you need help, you have my office hours."

On the power points displayed at the front of the room, he goes to the next slide that reads, "Paintings in Motion".

"I'm sure that you will all be excited to know that this is a partner project and lucky for you, I've already picked out your partners," He continues. I don't mind partner projects and because I'm not really friends with anybody in here, I'd rather that he pick our partners anyway so when the rest of the class starts groaning, I try to hide my nerdy smile. "And as it says on the slide, you will be putting paintings in motion. Along with your partners, I've posted the painting that I've assigned to you on the website. At least five minutes long, no longer than fifteen, your assignment is to find a story behind your painting and tell it. It can be in the era that it was created in or in modern day time, any genre,"

"Be creative, work together, get it in on time. This is a big project and you will have access to all of our studios as usual, the due date is going to be the last week of school before winter break so you've got time. Depending on how long they are, we will be presenting them in class on that last week of class before the final exam," He continues.

I have my laptop with me so I quickly pull it out, anxious to see who my partner is. There's a girl who sits a few rows in front of me who makes really emotional short films but there's also a guy on the other side of the room that is almost strictly into animation which is definitely not my thing.

I've had classes with almost all of these people already and we've presented our short films before so I have a good idea of who I'm dealing with here. After I find the document on the website with our partners and painting assignments, I'm only half-listening to Dr. Biel end his talk on the project and start his lecture on the dynamics of lighting in a studio.