11- The Girl Gets a Surprise

Lana

My sister is fucking hilarious. She asks guys out, she doesn't stand for their shit, she knows who she is and how to carry herself so that people know not to fuck with her. But her downfall is her romanticism because it will take her to her knees. It happened with her last boyfriend and it's happening now with Jonah. When she really has it bad for a guy, all of her confidence goes out the door and she just loses her mind. Hilarious.

I've sat silent long enough now, I've decided that I want to meet this illusive Jonah guy. Sutton said that he's always at the library when she's working and since she's working right now, I think that I'll bring her some dinner just to be a kind sister.

On my way to the library, I pick up a few bagels from Dunkin Donuts and then I go on my way to the tall building in the middle of campus. It's very tall and intimidating-looking, especially knowing that the whole thing is full of books and stressed out college students.

I know that she's usually working on the fourth floor so when I get inside, I wait for the elevator and head up to the fourth floor with my bagels and a shiteating grin on my face. I know that she'll enjoy my bagels but when she realizes that I'm actually here to meet Jonah-- or at least see his apparently gorgeous face-- she won't be too happy with me. The bagels will make her forgive me sooner though and how can this guy be such a big deal in her life if I don't even know what he looks like?

Searching for my sister and her book cart that she always has with her at work, I travel through the aisles of books in their tall shelves and I start with the art section because that's my favorite part of this floor. Even though I don't see my sister right away, I do scan the students studying at the tables, wondering which guy here is the illusive Jonah or if he's even here at all. There are a few guys that I'd consider cute but my sister and I have different taste in guys so my 'cute' is way different from hers.

There's a guy studying diabetic nutrition at one of the larger tables with a few other people, another guy scanning the history shelves, one on his laptop by the window, and another one reading an art history book at a small table farther away from everybody else.

My sister, however, is nowhere to be seen. I don't know how long it usually takes her to take care of this floor but I guess she's all done. I sit down at a small table near another one of the windows and I pull out my phone to text her to see where she is. She doesn't usually check her phone when she's at work but maybe I'll catch her on a break or something. Either way, her shift ends in half an hour so I might as well just sit here and wait for her so that we can walk back to the dorms together.

Since I worked on my film project with Levi yesterday, we decided not to meet today and then we'll start up again tomorrow. We're almost ready to start casting which is pretty exciting.

After I send her a text, I start playing a game on my phone because I don't really have anything else to do right now. I'm so distracted by my phone though that I don't notice somebody standing over me until the guy puts a hand on my shoulder and I jump up, looking up at the guy.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," He tells me, offering me a handsome little smile. I prepare to let the guy down if he's hitting on me right now because I'm already with Tristan and even though we're not actually together, I'm only ever into something with one guy at a time. "I just wanted to ask you if you are busy tomorrow. For lunch or something?"

He's really cute, it's a shame that I have to turn him down. I stand up to make for an easy escape after I say no just in case he's one of those clingy guys who tries to talk me into going on a date with him even after I say no. However, before I can reject him as politely as possible, he's talking again.

"Actually, you know what? Fuck it," He decides before he steps even closer to me and then in the blink of an eye, he's fucking kissing me. Who even does that? Granted, his lips are soft and he's probably a really good kisser but I will not stand for this on a Monday between classes and studying. This is not the time nor the place.

Pushing him away from me, I'm about to yell at him or something despite this being the quiet floor but before I do that, I look up and notice how blue his eyes are (his eyes, I'll add, also look very surprised and hurt right now) and I start to make the connection.

"I take it that you're Jonah?" I ask him, hoping that I'm right because that should be the only reason that he's kissing me right now.

"What?" He looks confused.

"I'll take that as a yes," I say, noting the irony of the fact that I've kissed Jonah now and Sutton hasn't. I mean, I didn't kiss him but he kissed me and I shouldn't know what my sister's crush's lips feel like. "Okay, well this is awkward. Um, I'm Lana. It's nice to meet you. I think you were looking for Sutton? We're twins."

"Oh god," The guy mumbles, now looking absolutely horrified as he realizes what he's done. It's not really his fault though, if Sutton didn't tell him that she has a twin then how was he supposed to know? "I'm so sorry."

"It's cool," I assure him. "That was really good though, you should do exactly that when you see the real Sutton. Very dramatic. It's such a relief to find out that you like her back though because she's really been freaking out about it."

"She has?" He raises his eyebrows at me.

"I've said too much," I say quickly, readying myself to go find my sister to tell her the good news. Not that Jonah kissed me instead of her but that he wants to kiss her because I think she'd really like to know that.

"Wait, are you going to tell her what just happened?" He asks me with a hopeful look on his face. "I mean, she told me that she had a sister but she didn't say that she had a twin or I wouldn't have done that.

I pat his shoulder with a sympathetic frown. "That, my friend, is your job. Good luck."

As I start to walk away, Jonah starts walking with me so I guess he's not going to let me get away that easily. "Wait. Lana, is it? Can you at least tell me where she is? I haven't seen her up here at all today."

I shrug at him helplessly. "Sorry. I came up here looking for her too."

"Well, I wasn't really looking for her," He says quickly but I don't think that I believe him. He's adorable.

"Okay sure, well no, I don't know where she is. I just texted her telling her that I'm here so she'll be here soon."

"Okay. I should wait for her," He decides out loud, looking like he's still panicking a little bit about the situation and understandably so. It might be mean, but I'm a little bit amused.

"Yeah, you probably should," I agree with him, sitting my small paper bag of two bagels on the table beside us. "Give here these when you see her, I'm going to head out."

"Alright. I'm sorry that I kissed you," He awkwardly mutters.

I can't help but laugh just a little bit at how worried he is. It's not the first time somebody has mistaken me for my sister though so it's not that big of a deal. It's a good thing that I've been talking to Tristan though because if I wasn't, I wouldn't have pushed him off so quickly when he kissed me. Then, we would have a problem. "That's alright, Jonah. You'll get it right next time."