16- The Girl Shops Again

Sutton

Halloween has always been a pretty big deal to my sister and I. We always get really into it, we have a theme and everything. Carmen, Tess, Megan, and Lynn have been getting in on our costume themes for a while now too. Last year, we all went as sexy superheroes and this year, we're doing Britney Spears. We're all dressing as a different Britney Spears.

"I want a really sexy one," Lana decides as we are all walking through the thrift store that's just down the road from campus. After we're done here, we'll look at the mall and then the Halloween store that opened up just for this holiday. "Like school girl Britney or that time that she had a snake, that was pretty iconic."

"Sutton calls schoolgirl Britney," Megan decides for me.

"What?" I ask her with raised eyebrows.

She holds up a skirt that she just pulled off of the rack that's a short and plaid. "This plus a white button up and a gray cardigan. You're all set."

"Why don't you do that one?" I wonder.

"Because you need to wow your new boyfriend and this is how you do it," She insists. "I mean, feminism and blah blah blah, you don't have to dress to impress your man, but it's definitely fun to drive them crazy a little bit."

"What about Tess?" I call out our other friend, who is looking on the other side of the rack for something to wear. "She's been flirting with Dawson lately, she can be the sexy schoolgirl."

"Sutton," Lana says in a scolding tone. "Do it. Come on, don't you want Jonah's eyes to be glued to you all night? He won't be able to keep his hands off of you... even more so than usual."

I roll my eyes at that last part. We've only been together for about a week and it's not like we're constantly sucking face in front of Lana or anything. We only briefly make out when he hangs out after classes but it's nothing that's really intense or anything. We've barely even gotten to second base. But she does have a point about me wanting him to really like my outfit, to make his mouth water.

"Fine," I give in, taking the plaid skirt from Megan.

"Ooh, this is perfect," Carmen interjects, holding up a pair of washed out denim cut-offs.

"What Britney outfit is that?" Tess asks her curiously.

"It's not Britney, it's Nicki Minaj," She explains and when we all start giving her a curious look, she continues to explain. "Although I do love your Britney theme and everything, the BSA Halloween party is the same night so I have to go to that first. I can't go to a Black Student Association party dressed as a white girl. Plus, I've already got Nicki's ass."

"Alright," I say, understanding exactly why she wants to dress as somebody that's black like her instead of white washing for Halloween. "Well, what goes with that? Isn't it a pink bra?"

"Pink bra, pink pumps, and a shit ton of bling," Carmen tells us. "So keep an eye out."

I find a white button up shirt that fits and that I can easily modify to look like the one Britney wears in the 'Baby One More Time' music video. I have some knee-high socks that I can wear and I'll just wear black sneakers with it. As I'm looking through the sweaters for a gray cardigan, my phone starts ringing. All of my friends dispersed around the store so that's nobody around, so it's not rude that I answer my phone.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Hey, are you still shopping?" Jonah asks me.

"I am," I confirm. "I'm about halfway through the things I need for my costume."