chapter 1

"Oh, Darla, you're almost a teenager..." Jessica hugged her little sister. "And you're off to spend the summer at my childhood summer camp... I know this is no Camp Little Moose, but you'll make loads of new friends here, and best of all, Amber will be there too."

"Yeah, luckily I'll get to see her before she sees her Aunt Anita and Uncle Roger in London." Darla hugged her big sister back as she was packed to spend eight weeks at summer camp this year.

"Are we almost there yet? We can't breathe." Patch and Maisy muffled from her luggage.

Darla opened one bag to see the puppy and kitten before she folded her arms with a smirk.

"What're you two doing in there?" Jessica giggled to the pets.

"We wanted to come with." Maisy said.

"Of course you did..." Darla replied.

"Well, we can't let our big girl go out into the world alone." Patch replied.

Darla rolled her eyes. "Guys, I'm almost twelve!" she then whined.

"We know, but we don't want to miss out on anything you might experience at camp." Patch said.

"Well... I guess you could come as long as you don't cause too much trouble." Darla replied.

"So, what're Roger and Anita going to do in London?" Patch asked curiously.

"I hear Anita's going to see an old friend of hers who has a daughter that wants to meet Amber," Darla said. "I wish I could go too, but I should let my best friend be with her family, we have eight whole weeks together."

"Don't you have to meet another girl as well?" Jessica asked.

"Oh, yeah, did I tell you?" Darla replied. "I've been exchanging letters with a girl named Hallie from California."

"I know you'll miss being with Amber, but you should spend some time with new friends." Jessica smiled.

"And I plan to." Darla replied maturely as she was almost twelve now and excited to start this experience.

"So then, what are we waiting for? Let's get this bag zipped up and get ready for the trip to the camp." Maisy smiled.

"Okay, get comfortable..." Jessica told them.

Atticus walked over to Darla. "Have a good time, kiddo..." he then hugged her nice and tight, but didn't use all of his strength. "We'll miss you so much."

"I'll miss you too." Darla smiled.

"Now, remember, I want you to be on your best behavior," Atticus told her. "Remember what I said about meeting Robyn. I know you have a lot of old friends and you might not feel like you might need a new friend, but look, you mailed that girl Hallie Parker once a week during the school year and you two sound close already even though you've never met each other, but you'll spend time together before you start school in the Fall."

"Yes, Atticus..." Darla nodded to her big brother. "I know a lot better... I'm almost twelve."

"Yes, but you'll always be that little seven year old girl we met back in Hollywood..." Atticus smiled with joyful tears in his eyes.

"I know." Darla smiled.

Atticus wiped his eyes.

"Okay, kiddo, let's get going." Jessica smiled as she got into her car and was ready to drive off.

Darla hugged Atticus one last time and dashed to the car and sat in the passenger seat and hooked up once her bags were ready to go to camp. "We're going!"