chapter 11

"I'm gonna ask Dad after my mum." Annie said to Darla.

"Great." Darla said.

Annie nodded as they walked along. Darla popped her fingers in her mouth as she had bacon grease leftover.

"Mm, delicious." Darla smiled.

"Wow, you were hungry." Annie said.

"Uh, duh..." Darla smirked. "This isn't baby fat ya know."

"Oh, right." Annie said.

Darla kept eating the breakfast leftovers as they were on the way to see Nick. And where Nick would have something to tell Annie who he thought was Hallie.

"Honey, I'm glad you're here, there's something really important I want to talk to you about." Nick hugged his daughter.

"Well, there is something really important I want to talk to you about." Annie said.

"Okay, you go first." Nick replied.

"Uh, no you..." Annie replied back.

"Yeah." Darla agreed.

"Okay, I want to talk to you about Meredith." Nick said.

"And I want to talk to you about my mother," Annie replied, but then stopped once she realized what he said. "What about Meredith?"

"W-W-What about your mother?" Nick then asked, surprised of that request.

"Well, she's just curious." Darla said.

"Dad, I'm almost twelve, how long do you expect me to buy that story that The Stork dropped me on your doorstep?" Annie continued.

"I was adopted," Darla spoke up. "I usually think about my natural family even though I really love my new family."

"That's great that you love them, Darla." Nick said.

"So, about my mother?" Annie reminded.

"Oh, Hal..." Nick sighed. "We've talked about your mother."

"No we haven't," Annie replied "Not really. A girl needs more in life than half of a crumpled old photograph. Dad, I'm almost a teenager, face it, I need a mother."

"Yeah and she means a real mother one that loves her and understands her." Darla said.

"You know what? You're both right," Nick nodded. "You're both absolutely right. Which brings me to--"

Meredith was in a black gown this time and was riding in a golf cart with a sharply dressed man.

"Meredith!" Nick smiled.

"It's as if she came here right on cue." Darla said with narrowed eyes.

"Of course." Annie nearly deadpanned.

"Hello there, girls," Meredith smiled. "Girls, this is my assistant, Richard. Richard, this is Nick's daughter, the one I've been telling you so much about, and this is her friend from camp, I think, Dolly."

"Darla." Darla narrowed her eyes even more.

"Hello there." Richard smiled to the girls.

"Hi." Darla and Annie forced smiles back.

'I can't believe that she had to be here.' Darla thought to herself.

"Hey, if you're free later, why don't we all have lunch on the terrace?" Meredith asked Nick.

"Actually, I promised Hal we'd hang out together this afternoon." Nick said as he put his arm around his daughter who then smiled in return.

"Uh, shoo shoo." Darla smirked while waving her tiny hand away.