chapter 8

Meanwhile at the California airport...

Darla yawned and stretched. "Phew! I feel like I've been on that plane all my life."

"Do you see Hallie's father?" Maisy asked from the bag.

Darla rubbed her eyes and looked out the window. "Not right now, maybe when we go out into the airport."

They then left the plane and came out with the people in California.

"Oh, gosh, it's him..." Annie whispered in shock once she caught a look at her father.

"That must be him." Darla smiled.

"Hey, Hal!" Nick smiled. "Welcome home, kiddo!"

Annie ran over to hug her father for the first time in her whole entire life. Darla soon rushed over so she could meet Nick.

"Get in these arms, ya little punk." Nick smiled.

Annie laughed and then hugged him.

"Can I come out now?" Maisy asked.

Darla opened her bag all the way.

Maisy the poked her head out and took a breath. "Phew!"

They soon got to Nick.

"Oh, is this Macy?" Nick asked.

"Maisy," Darla corrected. "And yes, she's my kitten."

"Let's just hope Sammy won't mind." Nick chuckled.

"I'm sure he won't mind." Annie said.

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Parker." Darla shook hands with Nick.

"Nice to meet you too, Darla." Nick smiled.

Annie and Darla were in the back-seat as Nick was now driving them back to the house.

"This is so exciting." Maisy whispered.

Darla looked out the window as they were on the way over to the Parker residence. Maisy looked out as well and where she was amazed by the sights.

"Man, I never saw this side of California before." Darla said as she held Maisy close.

"Yep... Home sweet home." Annie chuckled sheepishly, trying to use an American accent the best that she could.

Darla gave her a thumbs up as Annie's American accent was perfect. Annie gave a thumb's up back, feeling glad that she was able to pull it off.

"I hope you had a lousy time at camp because you are never going back." Nick teased his daughter, obviously not meaning that.

'He truly is acting like a good dad.' Maisy thought to herself.

Nick and Annie were talking like a normal conversation.

After a while, they finally got to the Parker residence.

"Oh, my God!" Annie replied as they were pulling up to the driveway.

"Now you're starting to sound like your old self." Nick chuckled as Annie's hospitality was taking over Hallie's usual direct tomboy nature.

"It's amazing." Darla smiled.

"I hope you like it, Darla." Nick smiled back to his guest for the next week or so.

"I'm sure me and Maisy will." Darla said.

Nick pulled up and allowed the girls to then come out.

"Be careful with your words..." Darla whispered to Annie. "You've been a bit too proper lately."