1: sleeping beauty

"They-they wouldn't let me in," Derek said softly as he tugged at his hair, looking frantically at Melissa McCall, who felt as frantic as Derek was, yet none of them could register it on each other, their constant masking of feelings making it easier than usual. Melissa looked both ways to see if anyone was looking at them before quickly calming him down and leading him to the room were Grace was. Derek's stomach churned as she unlocked the door and signaled for him to enter. He took a deep breath as he turned the doorknob and entered Grace's room. There she was, her mouth slightly parted as her chest lifted up and down as she breathed. She's been there for almost a month now, yet it was Derek's first time seeing her, looking as the doctors wouldn't let him enter, since he wasn't family. He gulped as he remembered the last time he saw her; collapsed with her stopped heart. He remembered that night perfectly.

      As soon as Derek had slashed his psychotic uncle's throat, his head snapped towards the direction where Grace spoke her last, weak words as her world turned to complete darkness. Without a second thought, Derek had sprinted towards Grace's crashed car and pulled out Grace's unconscious body as he carried her bridal style and lay her on the road, complete and utter fear rushing through his veins. He didn't know what to do. He remembered as he panicked. He remembered as thought about giving her the bite. He remembered the fear as he thought about Paige.

    "Scott! C-- call an ambulance!" He shouted and Scott forced himself to peel his eyes away from his sister's body to get his phone and dial 911 with shaky fingers.

   "911, what's your emergency?" Sounded for the second time that night and Scott explained the situation thoroughly.

      Derek's stomach sank as he heard as the familiar beat to Grace's heart grew weaker and weaker until it had finally stopped. His breathing hitched as her body grew cold, and he remembered how he felt the familiar feeling that was the shattering of his heart. He felt a pair of hands push him away from her body as his vision grew blurry, eyes never leaving Grace as the paramedics had huddled around her pulseless body before ripping open her curve-hugging red dress.

      "Clear!" The one with the paddles shouted as he'd put them on Grace's chest, making her body jolt. No response.

      "Charge it up to 250!" The same paramedic said, the one next to him doing what he commanded, "Clear!" He said once again, repeating his actions. Still, no response.

      Derek gripped on his hair as the feeling of hopelessness flooded his system. He pleaded for Grace to be okay. For her to wake up. For her to not leave him. He remembered how he thought that she couldn't leave him. She couldn't die. Not like this.

      "Charge it up to 360!"

      "But sir--"

      "Charge it!" The paramedic ordered, the others reluctantly doing what he ordered, "Clear!" He shouted once again, the paddles shocking Grace's body as it jolted upwards, a small gasp making the paramedics sigh in relief. But her eyes didn't open. Her mouth emitted small breaths as they carried her to the ambulance next to them.

      Derek let out a sigh of relief, fear rushing through his veins once again as he found out her eyes hadn't opened. He tried to ride with her, being stopped by the medics that told him he couldn't because he wasn't family, something he'd heard far too many times since she was hospitalized. Scott, still frozen in place, stared at his sister's almost lifeless body as he looked at Derek's distressed face and the ambulance took off to the nearest hospital.

      By then, Allison had rushed next to Scott to ask what had happened. Scott, still in shock, managed to give her a stuttered answer. "G--Grace, she--she's on her way to the hospital."