12: unwelcomed visits

"Tell me this wasn't you, that Derek turned you into a monster and somehow you got Scott into it," Melissa said once they'd all gone out of the sheriff's station

"Tell me this wasn't you, that Derek turned you into a monster and somehow you got Scott into it," Melissa said once they'd all gone out of the sheriff's station. Grace looked back at her mother, scoffing as she crossed her arms over her chest.

"A monster? Is that really how you think of me?" Grace asked, biting the inside of her cheeks to not start tearing up.

"Ever since you got with that Derek guy, you haven't been the same Grace," Melissa whispered, not daring to even look into her daughter's eyes.

"And Scott is such an angel? Because if Scott has one flaw it must be my fault, right? Well, you want the truth, Melissa? The night the police discovered half of that girl's body, who was Derek's sister by the way, Scott got bit by Peter Hale and—shocker—he was the first one who turned. And Derek? The big bad who changed me for the worse in your eyes? He was Scott's mentor. Let me rephrase... if it wasn't for Derek, Scott would've been dead by now. If it wasn't for Derek, I would've probably been dead by now or laying like a vegetable on a hospital bed. And you know what?" She started, moving closer to Melissa, "Look at me. Yes, I'm different from that Grace who used to get straight-A's and always hung out with her brother and his best friend, but this is about survival now and if you expected me to stay the same after everything I've been through then maybe I'm not the monster here. And, yes, I've made mistakes but, let me remind you, I'm fucking sixteen! I got my driver's licence this year. I thought I would get my life together this year. I didn't ask for my brother to be bitten and turned into the supernatural... I didn't ask to be pregnant, but I did hope that my mother would be the one to always stand by my side. And what did you do? You threw me out. You said if I was the one who chose to throw my life away then you didn't want me under your roof. Stellar parenting. Really. So, yes, you can curse to the world about how life completely sucks but, before you blame everything on me, I'd look at your life choices."

Before Melissa could say anything, Grace turned on her heel, letting the tears fall as she walked away from her mother, cursing at herself for being so hard on her mother. She needed to get that out because when she thought of mother she didn't think of Melissa. She'd lost her parents and she was hanging on to Scott by the mere fact that they were supernatural creatures and they were connected by everything that was going on. As she stepped inside Derek's Camaro, sure he'd heard every venomous word she'd spit out to her mother, she wondered how different her life could've been if she and Scott wouldn't have gone to the woods with Stiles that day. Maybe Stiles would've been the one bitten and this life was just destined for her. Maybe if she and Scott wouldn't have hidden when the sheriff found Stiles their only worry would be midterms and sports.

She looked at Derek, whose eyes were glued to the road, his shirt clinging on to his muscles. She looked back at her lap. If she and Scott weren't in the woods that day she wouldn't have met Derek. She wouldn't know the pain and bliss of setting her heart on someone. Then again, she wouldn't have been pregnant. She wouldn't have been thrown out of her home. A day like today, she would've probably been making dinner for Scott and herself while Melissa would've probably taken another late shift at the hospital. Would it have been worth it?