Match Maker

I wake to someone carrying me. I turn to see the face of a guard. A familiar guard. I suddenly recognize him as Parker. The guard who guided me back to my room when Gregory was murdered.

"Oh your awake," he says smiling and I see that he wants more in his eyes. He wants me to kiss him again, but I think better of it.

"I'm sorry, but whatever we have can't happen. No matter what. I'm in the selection and I'm staying in the selection until I'm sent home. I'm sorry I kissed you. I regret it. I really do. Can we be friends?" I say hopefully.

His face falls, but he looks at me with respect still and says, "It was a mistake. Friends?" he asks.

"Friends." I say agreeing with him before falling back asleep.
~
When I wake up I'm back in my bed. As I start to stir my maid walks in and prepares a bath for me.

When she walks back out I turn to her and ask, "how did the birthday party go?"

She turns to me and smiles, "it went well. The adults got a bit freighted when you fainted, but once they were reassured you were fine, they all brightened up and I think the twins had an awesome birthday," she says complimenting me on the party.

"How are you feeling?" She asks when all she gets from me is a smile.

"Good," I say remembering again about Ceea and the rebels and in my head I silently start planning.

"That's good. Now Prince Zach has requested to see you in the gardens at 3 which is in a hour, so we should get you ready Penny says leading me to the bathroom.

I undress and step into the warm bath she prepared for me as the scents of lavender rise up.

"So do you really like the prince?" Penny asks and I know then that she's been wanting to talk about boys with me for a long time.

"I think so," I say honestly.

"Oh, I wish I had a boy that liked me," Penny says looking down sadly. I realize then all she wants is to be loved.

"You should look around for a guard named Parker. I hear he's single and he's really cute!" I tell her.

She looks at me and when she realizes I'm not kidding she squeals with excitement.

"Oh I will! I will!" She says thanking me and with that I don't worry about anything for a little while. I push all my thoughts to the back of my head and I just spend the hour talking and getting to know Penny.