Chapter 26

Chapter 26

If you don’t know how to be scared, you’ll never really learn how to be brave.

I kept this in mind as I stood shaking in ridiculous amounts. I was literally holding my arms, trying to pull myself together. ‘Be brave Katie,’ I spoke to myself trying desperately to control my fear or even exchange it with bravery. I just had no idea what was on the other side of the door. I couldn’t know and I was petrified.

The doors swung open as if they would on a famous movie like Cinderella. In a way I felt like a princess. I was in a mansion, dressed like a million dollars, and being escorted by a man as handsome as anything. Just take away the fear I was currently drenched in and I could possibly be quite happy.

When the doors opened, instead of following Aaron through the doors and into the ball room, I stopped in my tracks. Aaron was nudging me along but I was using vampire strength to stand very still.

“Well don’t just stand there.” Aaron hissed, glaring at me. All handsomeness swept from his face as it was replaced with rage.

“I can’t.” This time I wasn’t angry. I wasn’t even that scared. I was confused.

When the doors opened, instead of seeing a beautiful party as any other normal girl would see. My eyes had immediately landing upon the wavy brown hair of someone way too familiar. Someone I didn’t want to see now or ever.

My brother, Michael.

I swiftly changed my direction and headed back up the stairs hoping to god he didn’t see me. Please don’t see me. Please don’t see me.

I may have escaped my brothers eyes but Aaron was right in front of me before I had a chance to blink my eyes.

“I don’t think so.” He whispered smirking, “I was ordered to take you to the ball, and that my lady is what I plan on doing.” He smiled and looped my arm into his and began walking towards the open doors as if he was the best in the world. I prepared myself for the grand entrance and breathed in and out one more time before coming face to face with my brother.

He just looked at me. His expression didn’t change a bit. In fact he didn’t look surprised at all. I growled to myself. Ah, I bet he is the reason I am in this mess. He just can’t get enough. Ruining my life once didn’t seem to suit him.

I pinched myself really hard trying desperately to wake myself up from this terrible dream.

I could handle anything but this. Anything but being confronted my the one person I hate more that anything.

You see I didn’t always hate him. It wasn’t always like this. In fact once upon a time, I loved him just like a sister would love her older brother.

But that my friends, was quite a long time ago.  

5 Years ago

My Ipod was sitting on my lap as I sit on my bed crossed legged humming to the tunes of my favourite music. The cool breeze swished in through my open bedroom window and I was suddenly engulfed by the precious smell of my mother’s perennial garden. I sighed in completeness. I had everything I had ever wanted. Friends and family.

I had it all.

I was filled with anticipation. My parents had been holidaying out on some amazing island and they were due to be arriving at any time now.

I couldn’t wait to see both there familiar faces again.

I stood up and sat on the day bed next to my large window and stared out onto the road where my older brother sat anxiously waiting there arrival.