Chapter 12

Chapter 12

"What are we running from, and why are you taking me? Why don't you just let me die? Save yourself! I would rather die than run with you two!!!" I was so angry and I let it all out.

"Kid, it's our job to keep you safe and I am not sure why." Dan was quite blunt and angry, but he never took his eyes off the road. I glanced across at Felix who sat absently next to me. I looked deep into his eyes searching for answers but they never came.

"Can you turn on the air con?" I asked politely annoyed at the minimum conversation going on. They just looked at me.

"Kid, how can you be hot its freezing?" This time he turned around in his seat. He glanced at me for a slight second then turned back. I felt my face and realised it was burning up; I looked over at the review mirror and saw that my face was majorly blushed, red! Oh crap, I reach over to the handle and started putting the window down and as I did I heard a screeching sound coming from outside. I looked at Felix in horror, and then realised I was being suffocated. I was being dragged out of the car through the window by something like a ghost or shadow, or something see-through. I didn't get much to see, and then my eyes started to close and the last thing I saw before falling asleep was Felix strong body reaching over me closing the window and fighting off the spirit, if that was what it was.

I feel small strokes across my head and here small murmurs in my ear.

"Katie?" Defiantly Dan's stern voice then taken over by Felix's quiet sweet voice.

"Darling?" Wake up Katie?" This was what brought me to opening my eyes. I looked up into Felix's eyes that were straight above my head. A small smile gained on his face.

"Are you ok? That was quite a strangle!" He giggled expecting me to join in but instead I just lay there and stared into space. What had just happened to me?

"What just happened?" Felix looked at Dan and then back to me. Silence!

"Guys?" Still nothing. Silence!

"I need answers!" This time I was almost in tears and I could see signs of sympathy in Felix's eyes.

"Please, just tell me." I then felt an icy tear fall down my once blushed face, now pale face. I tasted the saltiness as it landed on the side of my lip.

"We can't tell you yet, but you will find out. You just need to do what we say and stay as close to us as you can, ok? Then everything should be ok." Should?? What did that mean? That it may not be ok?

I looked at Dan but before I could get a decent look he was strapped up in the driver's seat. Turning on the car. He had one more look back at me before turning back to the front and shooting off.

We drove for hours. No. Actually probably days. Snacking at the very rare stops at Petrol stations. But when come to think of it we hadn't stopped today. I had slept all day.

"Dan, where are we going?" I asked waking up from a weird dream. I rubbed my eyes to get a better look at him.

"Well, we need to get to a place called the Vamperical Castle. It is where the entire royal, as in higher royalty than us, lives. We need to go and visit them." He kept his eyes on the road only taking a quick glance in the mirror. I looked down at my hands.

"How far is it away?" I felt the sudden urge to ask as many questions possible.

"Well, we have been driving for 2 and half days so far. So about four days away. Nonstop." I must have looked worried because he added," It's ok; we got food supplies at the last stop we made the other day."

"How far exactly are we away from civilisation at the moment?" I knew that I had started to sound persistent. And I was. I was going to get answers.

"Well, at the moment we are about...." He thought for a moment, "30 hours away from civilisation, but that's in the way we came from." He looked behind us and then back to the front. "Ahead... About 80 hours... maybe more." What!!!

We drove for another day before coming to a halt. We pulled over and Dan jumped out of the car.

"Felix, what happened?" The worried look on my face must have stirred him a little bit. He looked straight ahead. I waved my hand in front of his face, but still no reaction.

"FELIX" I shouted and he looked at me stunned.

"Can't you see I'm in a conversation?" He realised what he had just said and quickly glance away.

"You can explain that one later, but what is happening now?" He looked worried but then that turned to reassurance. "Nothing much just the car stopped, but no worries, I am sure that Dan will get it fixed in no time." It was too hard to see out at Dan into the dark of the night.

I desperately wanted to see him though. Even though I had Felix at my side. For some reason it wasn't enough. One minute I hate them the next minute I want both of them at my side.  

Then the door opened and in came Dan. He looked worried at me and then at Felix.

"We have a problem with the car. We are going to have to camp here tonight." Could this get any worse?

I might as well have a look around where we are going to camp. So I jump up and open the door remembering what Felix had told me earlier about not exiting the car. I panicked.

"KATIE!!!" I heard Felix shout form the other side of the car; I looked over to see him leaping into the air coming to my rescue.