Siyam

K a r o l i i n a

K a r o l i i n a

Eric had dragged me and roughly pushed me into a darkened room.

I was still adorning tears on my cheeks, but Eric ignored them and grabbed both of my wrists, wrapping his calloused hands around them. His hands, scabbed and bruised, were strong, hard and it felt... scratchy against my skin. A good scratchy.

I was silent apart from the occasional hiccups I emitted, and somehow I knew that it annoyed Eric. Maybe because of the fact that I was scared of rats when I should've been brave, like a real Dauntless. Maybe because I embraced him and didn't let go of him for fifteen minutes straight. Maybe because I disturbed his night for 'getting girls'.

Maybe because I crashed on his back and hit my nose on his big, bulging arms.

"Watch your fúcking step," He snarled, grabbing my shoulders and pushing me farther into the library.

Wait.

A library?

With my mouth in a small gasp, I scanned the massive--and I mean massive, room full of books. Shelves were on one corner, and dozens of tables and sofas on the other. Beanbags were randomly scattered around, and I could see the dark view outside with the tall, big glass windows placed on the wall.

Dauntless had a library? And a huge one?

This was practically absurd and impossible for me.

"A library?" I voiced out without intending to, "A library in Dauntless?"

"Don't be surprised," Eric said bluntly, and I saw a flash in his eye before he started dragging me yet again farther into the many corridors of lined-up shelves, "We're brave and big, but we're not stupid."

When we rounded up the corner, I expected to find a door leading to some sort of a torture room, and for Eric to tie me to a chair and wring my neck or something, but what I saw was the least thing--or should I say person--I expected.

"Eric," The old man's face wrinkled when he smiled at the leader grasping my wrist, and soon he came near us with a cane, wobbling as if he was going to fall any second.

I wasted no time in trying to walk towards him to help, but Eric tightened his grip. I was forced to stay put or I was sure my blood circulation would've been cut. 

"My boy, it's been so long since I've seen yah."

I supressed the urge to hug the man in front of me. He gave out an aura of calmness. An aura that made you want to confide in him and tell him all your secrets. An aura that felt like home.

"Quentin," I had to do a double take when I heard Eric speak. Not only did the name of the one who was supposed to carry out my punishment register in my brain, but also the light, soft tone in Eric's voice.

He sounded normal. Not frigid and unmoving, just relaxed and.. him.

Eric released my wrists, making me sigh in relief as I rubbed them soothingly. Quentin's eyes traveled to my movements, and they narrowed when he saw the already forming bruise on them.

"You hurt the poor girl, Eric." Quentin scolded, hobbling towards me and inspecting the tender flesh.

"She'll fúcking live," He said, and I cringed when he uttered the unnecessary curse word, "She's here for her punishment."

"Punishment?" Quentin echoed, and upon realising what Eric said, clapped his hands enthusiastically, "Oh, right. The girl."

Eric rolled his eyes, pushing his hands down deep in his pockets. He was doing a common a-hole move, but he was sporting a small, barely visible smile on his face.

Eric smiled?

I thought he didn't, unless sadistically.

"Watch it, old man." Eric said lightly, leaning on the wall beside him, "Make it quick. I need her back at the dorm before ten."

Quentin, with a happy and joyous sparkle in his eyes, ushered me towards the side where a tall stack of books were. I stared at the books' delicate, torn, and old pages and covers, wanting to run my fingers on top of them.

"These are the books no one really reads anymore." His sad voice made me sad, "And I would love to take them. But you know, there are some disadvantages in marriage--like OCD wives."

The booming laugh from Eric caught me completely off guard. The leader was guffawing, hands in his stomach and eyes closed, and I was sure that I had gone crazy.

Since when did Eric get happy? Does he even experience emotions aside from hate?

"Shít," Eric wiped a stray tear away from his eye, "Gwyneth's going to kill you with a vacuum machine, Q."

Quentin grinned, and he looked back at me with a more happy face, "I know this is a lot to ask, but can you take these off my hands? There are new shipments of books from Erudite every month, and we don't have enough space for everything anymore. Those Nose just keep dumping their things on our place. If you don't want to take them, it's fine. I understand--"

"It's quite alright, Mr. Quentin. I'll--"

"Of course she'll do it," Eric interrupted, and his face was back to its blank, emotionless expression, "It's her punishment. She's required to do it."

"Good, good." Quentin nodded and he went back to his spot behind a counter, bringing up a box, "Here, you can place them inside here, dearie."

Moving towards the books, I held the one on the last pile, and with all my force, I lifted it. My arms shook at the heavy weight, but I was confident that I would make it to Quentin without dropping them. 

But I suddenly stumbled, and the books came crashing down to the ground.

I was waiting for the impact of the floor against my face, but it didn't come. I realised that I was held in the arms of a muscular man, my face buried in his chest.

Eric's chest.

My cheeks heated up, and I squirmed to get away from Eric. The latter didn't let go of me that easily, leaning down and whispering lowly in my ear, "Are you always this fúcking clumsy?"

I pushed at his chest, moving and struggling as if my life depended on getting away from him. When I finally managed to break free from his hold, I dashed to get the books on the floor and carelessly placed them on the box Quentin was holding out.

"I-I..." I stuttered, "I'm going to--"

I didn't finish my sentence and ran out of the library as fast as I could.

T H I R D   P E R S O N

"She agreed to take them even when I gave her an option," Quentin said, impressed, "She's different."

"You always do that stupid 'test' to every girl you meet, Q." Eric rolled his eyes, "What's so special about her?"

"She accepted the books, Eric. Even before you said she had to." Quentin replied, looking at the disappearing figure of Karoliina, "And you know what, Eric?"

"What?" Eric asked, picking at his cuticles with little interest.

"Girls like her are a keeper," Quentin chuckled, "And there aren't many of them."