Labing-apat

K a r o l i i n a

I didn't know which was worse, being an enemy to Eric's team, or being on the team with Pauline.

I sighed, watching as Eric and Four divided up the Dauntless-borns. It wasn't a good feeling, really, to be against the ruthless leader, nor was it great to be on the team with the girl that almost made me Factionless. But, I can't blame her. Me being weak was the root of my problems.

"We're jumping first." I snapped out of my thoughts as Eric said those to Four, and I watched as my captain forged a smile at him.

"Don't give us favours." Four muttered back, gesturing for Eric to get off the train with his members. The leader rolled his eyes before jumping out and landing on the ground gracefully.

When our rival team was completely out of sight, Four turned to us with his gun in hand. He scanned our faces with a serious look in his face and said, "We need to move fast. Is there someone in this train that has already formulated a plan?"

No one said anything, and even if I did have an idea on how to tackle the game, I kept my head down and focused my attention on my boots. Speaking up won't help my wishes of wanting to blend in and have a normal life here in Dauntless.

"I have," Beatrice piped up, and my heart clenched with guilt when I remembered that she was almost cut because of me, "We can scout the area, find an elevated place and look for Eric's team. That way we can see where they are and make up a plan."

My ears peeked up at her plan. It seemed like a pretty solid one. Well, it would be if the other members of my team shut their mouths and listened to Beatrice instead of discriminating her plan because of her past.

"Your just a Stiff, you think your plan will work?" Scoffed an ex-Candor, her look shooting daggers at Beatrice.

Beatrice frowned, and I knew I would too if I was in her position. They had always called us Abnegations 'Stiff', which I didn't know the exact reason why. Maybe it was because we were uptight, not like how the Erudites were, but like we were constantly on edge, trying not to make a selfish mistake.

"Hey," My mouth had opened before I could comprehend what I was doing, "Just because she was Abnegation doesn't mean her plan is what you think it is. Her plan is not weak, and it's actually a solid one. It's a smart tactic. I honestly can't find any loophole or mistake in it."

I was breathing heavily by the time I finished my speech, and all the initiates in the train--including Four--had their mouths agape like I just did something horrific. Blush covered my cheeks. Damn it, I spoke out loud. I wasn't supposed to do that. Now all the attention is on me.

"Did you just speak?" An initiate asked, looking at me incredulously, "But I thought you were mute."

I clenched my fists. I now knew who that blonde-haired guy's friend was. When I got red in the face, Four cleared his throat so the attention was back on him. I looked back down on my shoes, thinking if it was against the rules to shoot your own teammate.

"We'll be jumping down when we reach the Ferris Wheel," Four said, handing each one of us a gun that shot neurostim darts, which hurt like a real gunshot wound, as so-kindly Eric demonstrated awhile ago. He had shot Molly, a friend of Peter, in the leg and informed us that the dart was painful and lasted a couple of minutes.

"Alright, get ready," Four announced, moving to the train's entrance, "Our destination's almost up."

I quickly lined up behind everyone else, holding my gun close to my chest. The weapon was quite heavy and was weighing down on my arms. When the person in front of me jumped down and I followed him, bending my knees and waiting for the impact of the ground against my feet.

I gave out a small grunt as I landed, almost losing balance if it wasn't for Beatrice's friend, Christina, who steadied me. I looked at her gratefully, "Thanks."

Her eyebrows raised up, and I squirmed when she gave me a once-over. "Huh, so you really do talk."

My face burned up for the second time, and I was sure I was close to exploding. If not talking meant I blended in, but people thought I was mute, then I don't know if that was still a win-win situation.

Beatrice walked over and pulled at Christina's arm. She sent me an apologetic smile, subtly nodding her head. I nodded my head back, swallowing the string of curses I wanted to say. It wasn't their fault they thought I was mute, I just didn't talk that much.

"Is it okay if I left you alone?" Said Pauline, and I looked at her with wide eyes. She was going to leave me?

"Isn't that against what Four instructed us?" I told her in a whisper, looking out behind my back just in case one of Eric's members was present. Pauline sighed, playing with her gun, "Look, I really want to experience this with my friend. We've been wanting to do a Dauntless tradition together, and this is our only shot."

I started to disagree, "B-But you--"

"Thank you so much!" And she rushed off to another direction, and I watched as her figure goes smaller and smaller until she's out of my sight.

I gulped, pressing my back against the wall. Sighing, I held my gun tighter and looked up to the black skies. I didn't want to acknowledge it, but I knew this would happen. I should not treat this like it was something big, though. I should get used to it. People left me all the time.

A rustling was heard on my right, and I faced the source of sound with a panicked expression. Harbouring fast breaths, I cocked my gun in an aim I thought was best.

"Pauline?" I asked aloud, my arms shaking slightly, "Pauline, is that you?"

"They left you alone?" The deep voice made a scream bubble up from me. The figure moved towards me, grabbing my arm and slapping his hand on my mouth, "Shut the fuck up or they'll hear you."

I struggled against the man, trashing and squirming in his hold. Without thinking, I bit the person's hand and ran when released me. He let out a shout, and in the darkness I could see him cradling his hand, "What the fuck--"

I shot him in the chest.

The figure fell down whilst I was left standing, breathing heavily as I held my gun up. The man, now in the ground, let out a cry that showed how much pain he was experiencing.

I swallowed, moving closer to the person, my gun still aimed at him, "I-I'm sorry. We're not teammates, are we?"

"Shit," The figure moved around, still lying on the ground, and looked at me in the eyes, "That was unexpected."

His blue eyes shone from the lights of the old carnival. I sucked in a breath. Eric.

His gloved hand went to his chest and, in one strong pull, he got the dart sticking out of his chest.

Once again he looked at me, his eyes shining with a glint I haven't seen before

Once again he looked at me, his eyes shining with a glint I haven't seen before. Then, he smiled, flashing me his teeth, "That was a nice shot. Hit me right in the chest."

I was going to die.