Sampu

K a r o l i i n a

I hate burgers.

With a look of distaste, I scrunched my nose up at the plate of food in front of me--I don't even think it's edible. The brown mush was sitting on the metal plate, unmoving and looking like it was someone's waste.

If I gave you a mental image, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it. Not really.

When I first tasted the meal, it was okay. I used my fork in eating it, to which I was surprisingly laughed at.

Dauntless didn't use utensils, they said. They were unhygienic like that.

But as soon as Eric stepped into the dining hall, everyone quieted down and somehow, the meat in my mouth turned sour. It was as if he was some sort of god, and he demanded all the attention--even the attention of my used-to-be-good burger, as it had wiped all the yummy goodness it had.

When he sat down next to me, at his table, he didn't say anything. He didn't yell at me to go find another table and only proceeded to grab a burger from the tray in front of him, biting on it as soon as the meat met his mouth.

I continued to look at the plate in front of me with disgust lacing my features. Did Eric carry some repellent with him or something? Or maybe he carried some sort of Karoliina magnet that always made him appear near me.

I didn't like that.

"Your training starts in ten minutes. Eat your fúcking breakfast and bulk up." Eric suddenly snarled, shaking me out of my reverie.

"I-I don't really like the taste," It had taken me a few seconds before uttering a reply, but at least I answered. If I didn't, who knows what kind of punishment Eric would give me. Probably one with rats.

He wasn't exactly understanding.

"I don't fúcking care," He scoffed, pushing his hair back with the hand he wasn't using, "And I also don't care if you want or don't want to be Dauntless. We start the combat training today, and if you don't have a strong body, you'll be out the second you'll be in the ring to fight."

I looked down at my arms. He was right. Without any strength, I will never win a fight.

When a scraping sound hits my ears, I don't look to my side to see if Eric is gone. His heavy footsteps are clear in the crowd's silence, and I even have to remind myself that we are surrounded by groups of people and not alone.

When chatters start erupting in the dining area again, I hesitantly picked up my fork and scooped up a piece of burger into my mouth.

Eric was right. I wouldn't survive in Dauntless if I wasn't strong. I needed to bulk up, not lose strength.

The orange coloured bag in front of me wasn't moving at all.

My arms were red from the useless punches I had thrown at it, and scabs were starting to appear on my knuckles. I didn't know why I was developing them because no matter how hard I punch the bag, it won't move.

Was it made of metal or something?

"Stand straight. Feet slightly apart. Protect your stomach," I was startled by Four's voice, body twisting to look at him.

"Don't move," He hissed suddenly, "Eric's here. If you want to pass the first stage of initiation, look at that bag and punch it. Eric will make you factionless if he sees you not doing anything."

I swallowed, sweat forming on my forehead. Nodding subtly, I did the right stance and prepared myself for punching the bag in front of me. Swinging my arm, I put all the force I had on the punch.

The bag moved a few inches back. Pain grew on my fist, and I felt blood dripping down from my hand to the floor. I didn't mind it, though. What matters most is that I made the bag move with Eric standing behind me.

"Gushing blood already, Stiff?" He taunted, chest pressed against my back and lips near my ear, "You're weak."

I was sure I wasn't breathing anymore. The feel of him enclosing me was suffocating.

Eric moved to stand in front of me, taking my bloodied hand roughly and inspecting it. His fingers traced over the scabs and cuts on it, applying pressure on a particular one and making me wince.

"Go to the infirmary." He uttered lowly, "You hit a sensitive vein."

I nodded mindlessly, pulling at my hand so I wouldn't have to feel Eric's calloused skin against mine anymore. His hands were too rough, like he constantly punched something very hard.

"I'll take her," Four announced, and that's when I noticed that all the other initiates' eyes were trained on me, "You can stay and watch them."

"No," Eric objected, puling me closer. "I'll take her."

Heat burned my cheeks. Oh god, this was a recipe for attention and rumours.