Seven

You sped home as fast as you legally could trying your best to get away from there.

Once you reached inside your house you locked the door and drew the shades.

You grabbed your phone and saw a few missed calls from Steve.

You put your phone down and opted for a shower.

After you finished washing up you got dressed and headed to the kitchen.

You grabbed a cup and poured yourself a glass of water.

You turned to head into your living room.

You let out a scream and dropped the glass.

"Holy hell Steve!" You yelled trying to catch your breath.

"Sorry. Let me clean that up. Where's the broom?" He asked walking into the kitchen with you.

You pointed to the pantry and went over and grabbed the broom while you hoisted yourself up on the counter and checked your bare legs for any cuts.

Luckily there were none.

You sat quietly thinking as Steve swept up the broken glass.

Once it was all clean he leaned up against the wall looking at you.

"Why are you here Steve?" You asked.

"I wanted to make sure you were okay. I heard you scream then you ran off. I don't know what happened in there with Buck-"

"Steve. He was with those people who attacked the dinner. You know that. Why didn't you tell me?"

He sighed,"Would you have gone to see him if you knew?"

"He's a murderer."

"That wasn't him. Well it was him but not by choice. He was brainwashed, controlled, made to do those things. I know Bucky. He would never do any of it intentionally."

"Steve it's been 70 years. That's ample time for him to change."

He shook his head,"Bucky isn't like that."

"I dont know if I can do this Steve." You admitted.

His broad shoulders slumped,"Penny. You're all I've got. That night, all those times he did those things it wasn't him. Last night, when he saved you from getting mugged, that was Bucky. That's who he is. Please. They'll kill him."

There was a pain in your heart when he said that. He couldn't lose his best friend it would destroy him.

You ran a hand through your hair and sighed.

"I'll think about it."

He nodded,"Thanks. Bucky will be glad. He really liked you."

You laughed,"Yeah right."

"Well he didn't actually say that but I'm sure he was thinking it."

"Yeah yeah, now get out of here."

"Goodnight Penelope." He said walking towards the door.